Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ram with urinary calculus  (Read 2935 times)

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
Ram with urinary calculus
« on: May 03, 2016, 08:05:55 pm »
Hi all wise ones !!! Have a 5 yr old  ram that has developed urinary calculus, he is not and never has been fed hard feed with the exception of a hand full to rattle in a bucket to move him and his pal for shearing, inj , worming, so about 4_5 times a year and then usually hogget feed. He's being treated ,antibiotics in case of urinary infection (unlikely) buscopan, metacam and PR diazepam !!! Anyone had any success I'm not holding up much hope and if he's the same in the morning he will be PTS. :gloomy:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Ram with urinary calculus
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 08:20:18 pm »
I hope the meds will help with the extreme pain and the calculi will pass through but ......

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 08:37:18 pm »
 :fc: that he's OK

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 08:44:17 pm »
acid based drench, like citric acid, lemon juice mixed with water.  Something to help break down the stones, hope he comes x

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 09:11:23 pm »
I hope he gets better soon! Sorry to hear this :hug:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 10:51:46 pm »
Thanks for your best wishes, someone else suggested that I try lemon juice as a French and I said that if I thought it would work I would give it a go.......but he is about 100kg plus and like most of them that look as though they are on their way out..... As soon as you try to get hold of him well ...... Earlier, when the vet was seeing him I had a rodeo ride on him when he tried to escape through my legs!!!!!! the vet was impressed.... said she had no idea I was so athletic ....as a 63yr old I took that as a complement when we had both stopped laughing   :relief:

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 07:22:54 am »
I don't remember seeing a post about treating urinary calculi on here before, so I would be genuinely interested to learn how the diagnosis made. Thanks.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 07:42:47 am »
Hi slimjim, diagnosis. Ram lethargic, tooth grinding, getting up , stretching and taking the peeing stance but nothing happening. Brought in, too quiet to be "normal" everything to me pointed to urine problem, my first thought or gut. Vet said ,no temp ,gut sounds OK tooth grinding definitely not OK ,pain, slight blood staining around the fleece and on the end of his penis. She could see he was dribbling urine only. I'd had him on concrete for a couple of hours and he'd poo'd but not peed ,just layer down tooth grinding , leg stretching looking miserable. The condition in people needs hospitalisation and morphine so very painful !! Hope this helps  :wave:

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 07:17:36 pm »
Sorry to say that I had the ram put to sleep this morning  , he had not improved and although some of you may think 24hrs isn't long, as a nurse I know how painful the condition is , he continued to toothgrind through the night so the painkiller weren't working.   RIP  :bouquet:

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 07:39:01 pm »
I'm so sorry to read this - how rubbish.  You poor thing - no doubt the right thing if pain ongoing....

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 08:08:21 pm »
Well done for taking the decision swiftly.  Such a shame.  Did the vet have any idea what might have caused it?  I know you said the ram wasn't fed ewe feed, so it must be unusual for them to get it?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 09:00:30 pm »
The last time I had it in a ram , the vet did a post mortem and decided that another ram had maybe hit the urinary tract

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 11:38:32 pm »
Thank you your input, ram only with a castrate friend so no damage from another animal. They wondered if he may have a bladder cancer interfering with his bladder, as blood present in his urine but didn't wat a PM all though I usually want to know. Bit like people I suppose, some people just get them , a genetic thing. I will let his breeder know and ask if she has had any problems . :

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS