Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kune Kune  (Read 2097 times)

baileyboy

• Joined May 2016
Kune Kune
« on: May 03, 2016, 03:29:07 pm »
Hi,
We rescued two female kune kunes just over a year ago, sadly one died over the week end. We know that pigs do not like to live alone, what we do not know is wether or not the remaining pig will accept a new companion as ours had been together since birth  (about 4 years).
Any comment would be appreciated.

baileyboy.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Kune Kune
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 04:02:23 pm »
It can take a bit of time and patience to introduce a companion, but I think she will be happier in the long run.
As long as you have plenty space for both pigs to get away and two shelters for sleeping, kune kunes can be grumpy when meeting new pigs but not as bad as some breeds! Neutral spaces, such as where your original pig hasn't been, or having a fence they can see each other and smell each other through before actually coming face to face can sometimes help.
Some even recommend a drink of alcohol such as a can of Guinness to help them chill out when meeting!

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 04:50:10 pm »
It'll help avoid problems with pecking order if you get a younger/smaller pig, I'd go for a castrated boar as they'll automatically assume the submissive role.
Younger pigs are also quicker and a bit more nimble so they'll be able to get away from her if she does decide to have a go - she might not, she might be very happy to have a new friend.  :fc: I'd introduce them of an evening and yes, a couple of cans of sweetheart stout (ours prefer it to Guinness  ;)) will chill her out - make sire the wee one has an area where it can shelter away from her in case it takes a couple of days for it to be allowed into the arc.
Where are you? I might be able to point you in the direction of pigs  :)

baileyboy

• Joined May 2016
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 06:02:22 pm »
Hi Guys
Thanks for the advice you have given, it has been very helpful.
I think that we have found a young male pig that needs rehoming.
 Fingers crossed all will go well.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS