Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Decent honesty cash box  (Read 10167 times)

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Decent honesty cash box
« on: May 02, 2016, 08:24:23 pm »
Got a little egg stand, nothing serious but some little blighter has been prying open my cash box. Mostly weekends. I'm pretty sure it's kids and I'm pretty sure I could catch them with determination. It's only ever a pound or 2 once I have emptied it in the evening. Not sure what I would do with them but could probably scare the crap out of them.

So I have to either leave it open and remove eggs at night or I need a better money box. I've got one of the little tin ebay ones but they can be prised with a screwdriver. So I need a more sturdy box and if the thief ups their efforts, so will I. I think it's just kids from the local DSS repository.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Decent honesty cash box
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 08:41:08 pm »
I would report it to the market coordinator and ask the person who is in charge of watching the markets and stalls to keep and eye on it all. Usually when we sell cheese on markets there is always one person on the stall whilst the other goes off, could you ask a fellow stallholder to look after it for you until you come back? We have one of those red boxes with a lock on it, heavy duty and we keep it well hidden, or alternatively you could wear an apron with deep pockets (you can get black ones which go around your waist) or pouch, what we do, and the money is on you then and no one else can get to it :trophy:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 08:42:51 pm »
I have my eggs for sale on my doorstep and ask for the money to be put through the letter box, I didn't fancy the idea of a cash box!
Anne

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 07:28:51 am »
I know it's inflammatory but I'd want to get a camera and present evidence to parents!

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 09:27:41 am »
Im with Steph hen. We had a little stand by the gate with excess produce and an honesty box . worked well for two years then some one started helping themselves. So now we sell stuff to people in the village and in the pub. Hoping to get basic veg boxes goinh soon. At least that way you keep control. It's not about the money,  it's about honesty . Friends of ours have a camera up and put the offenders on Facebook. That seems to work!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 09:44:00 am »
I know it's inflammatory but I'd want to get a camera and present evidence to parents!
Absolutely!  Scare the **** out of them now or they'll think they can get away with stuff like that for the rest of their lives.  We have a see-through plastic crate next to the gate with a dish in it.  The dogs bark every time someone stops for eggs and I collect the money every evening.  The only time it was stolen was when cars were diverted down our lane due to an accident on the main road.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 09:51:43 am »
Baz bought a big plastic pig once and turned it into a giant money box, but some little s@@t came along one day and pinched it.  Unfortunately it was closer to the campsite than the house, so out oF earshot.  The new one is right outside the house, it's. Just a milk churn so noisy.  but if yours is on your doorstep mmm I think yes letter box would be the best solution.  But then what they took the eggs? :thinking:  Perhaps camera is good idea..

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 09:54:58 am »
Just put a sign next to it saying under CCTV surveillance. We used to use one and it was fine everyday including weekends until the school holidays. A lot of kids go through that phase. A lot of them grow up honest so personally I find it easier not to put the temptation there.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 10:22:43 am »
When you empty it at night put a little note inside and give them something to think about - "Your fingerprints have been passed to the police" - although they may run off with your box to get rid of the evidence!

Or what about a mousetrap in there but don't get yourself!

Seriously, isn't it sad that people can't help themselves. My friends set up an honesty box for fruit, veg, eggs etc in the local forest where they live. They caught two adult mountain bikers emptying the money, less than £2, first thing in the morning. My same friends had been involved in a project in China helping poor farmers sell their rice for more and set up an honesty stall with them. They said the box could have the equivalent of a few hundred pounds in it that people could steal easily but in China it doesn't happen apparently.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 02:07:54 pm »
In China they're brought up in a better way than a lot of kids in this society, theyre quite a kind sharing people  even the poorest children are taught right from wrong. I agree with the others though if you want to sell produce sell it from your doorstep, put a sign up saying what you are selling and if people want to buy it they will. It also removes temptation from people. If not then you could empty it twice or three times in a day. we had rental DvDs stolen from our postbox once :rant: had to send out for more, weirdly though thry posted them back to the sender :roflanim:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 03:05:24 pm »
We've got one of these Sentry Safe boxes, which although not impregnable, would slow them down a bit! I'm thinking bolt it securely to something, and cut a slot in the top for cash to be put in.

I'd definitely go with key only at the cheaper end of things though, as some of the electronic alternatives looked very easy to break into.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 10:43:06 pm »
Wbf I think they are selling from there gate and not at a market stall

Just remember if you put up camaras put signs up near by or next to money box

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 03:12:30 pm »
Yeah, it's out on the road, a way from the house but on a busy junction although on private land so I could CCTV with signs. I empty it every night but some mornings it has been opened. It's not the money so much. It's only a few quid and I do it because people like to buy fresh, local eggs from hens they can see. It's just depressing really. I haven't bothered putting any over for a week or so and that is sad really.  I just need them to stop. What a pointless way to get a criminal record.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2016, 12:50:13 pm »
It is sad that a little bit of cash that helps feed your hens is such a target for some little s##te who probably doesn't need it. I did voluntary work for a seed company's trial grounds for years and one main job war pulling the "fully out, almost fully out" flowers off of rows of sweet peas to keep the flowers going (and a sweet job it was too) I would pick several bunches of flowers to take home and put in the drive-way at 50p a go to raise a bit of money for Greyhound Rescue.
I noticed a group of children who did a bit of skateboarding well along the road getting nearer and nearer until I found my pudding bowl regularly emptied. I caught the ringleader in the very act of emptying it and marched him--by the ear!-- to his Granny who was minding him. To my amazement, instead of being horrified at his behaviour, she launched into me.....he's only a child...... Well, if he's not checked now how will he be as an adult!........ Bugger off and mind your own business!......I was told.
What hope for youngsters and how sad that we have to guard a few pence!!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2016, 03:42:48 pm »
We must have unusually honest folk round here  8).  We've had an honesty box at the gate for years and never had any money stolen.  I can't lock it as people need change, but they're always honest about that too, or they'll leave a little note saying they'll leave more next time.  One lady even phoned me to say she'd taken some eggs but had no money, so would bring it later - but she didn't want someone else to get the eggs while she went for the cash  :D.  The extra change always turns up. The only person who annoyed me was an old bloke who had a good rummage through my post, in the next box, which is glowingly red and says POST on it.  He got an earful for being nosey and never came back  :innocent:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS