Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best time for harrowing.  (Read 7223 times)

Midas

• Joined Mar 2016
Best time for harrowing.
« on: May 02, 2016, 08:11:41 pm »
Hi everyone,
I am hoping to harrow my field in a couple of weeks, what should conditions be like underfoot beforehand?  The field isn't sopping wet, but in a couple of areas my footprint is visible when I walk on it.  Haven't seen anyone else harrowing yet?

Any ideas?  :)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Best time for harrowing.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 08:16:46 pm »
would it be a power harrow or a chain harrow?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Midas

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 08:28:26 pm »
A chain harrow.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 08:32:52 pm »
There was an article done on this ages ago, http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=34454.0
hope this helps. :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Midas

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 03:05:26 pm »
Thank you

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 04:12:19 pm »
..just chained my driest field today. I can do 1/2 of another but the other 2.5 fields are still too wet.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 09:50:31 am »
I'm on my third time around chain harrowing now :)

Depends on what condition it is really, some of the fields that are being done for moss are done on a dry afternoon after a spot of rain the day before.  Since I am using a landrover with road tyres the grass has to be dry and the soil pretty solid but 'dampish'.  The fields that have new grass coming through the 'burnt' tall fallen grasses has to be done when its bone dry or it skips across the top.

Its always better harrowing against the dominant wind - so this means I have to go round twice with opposite patterns.

Ta

Barry

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 11:07:14 am »
Sort me out with a vehicle that has a decent gear stick n I ll do the rest for you  :innocent: :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS