Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Too young for cocci??  (Read 2661 times)

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
Too young for cocci??
« on: May 02, 2016, 05:04:52 pm »
Raising my first ever bottle lambs since last week... twin Soay girls 12 days old today (orphaned at 7 days).
They seem to be doing quite well, but since this morning the bigger one developed a darkish very watery scour. Adding yoghurt and electrolytes to her feeding regime has not really brought an improvement in the last 18 or so hours, it's more like getting worse. She is still very bright and active, although perhaps not drinking quite as enthusiastically as yesterday.

From what I have read here and elsewhere dark and watery scours is telling of coccidia? Is 12 days too young for this??

I just spoken to the vet, who says cocci would be 'unusual but not impossible' at this young age, but insists to do a FEC first before dispensing Vecoxan. Yes, but... a FEC would take at least until Weds to get the results through, and I understand cocci can kill fast... Vet however happy to dispense ABs 'just in case' instead, which really surprises me.

I still have some Vecoxan left from last year - should I give her that now, regardless? What would you do?
Can Vecoxan be harmful if unnecessary or at the wrong dose?

I'm terrified I might loose her after loosing her mum so unexpectedly, and having a lone twin left will be even worse...

Thank you all for always priceless TAS advice!

"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Too young for cocci??
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 05:22:59 pm »
It is very hard to accurately diagnose the cause of scour by colour and consistency.
I agree with your vet that cocci is unlikely at this age but not impossible.
Does your vet not do in house faecal examination as this might give you a quicker result for coccidia testing?
Many drugs like antibiotics and anti coccidial drugs are harsh on the system, especially in very young animals.
I'm not sure which "antibiotic" they are suggesting but there are some that are cheap, readily available to the vet and may be less harsh than others, so this may be the vet's aim.
The main aim of treatment in scour is to replace the vast quantities of fluids lost, so electrolyte solution frequently is the way to go. Then, if there is a specific bug causing damage (eg. Cocci, or bacteria - the vet could send faecal samples for things like e coli and salmonella if no cocci and no improvement with time) then this can be treated, if viral, time and supportive care will allow the immune system to fight. Meanwhile electrolytes, +/- probiotics like natural yoghurt will keep the lamb hydrated and support healing. It will then take time for the intestines to heal and return to normal.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 09:17:15 pm »
Yesterday had foster lamb which is being topped up by bottle maybe 14 days old , had been lying down more and not sucking mother or bottle very much produced very dark and  very stinky faeces , gave it 2.5ml vecoxan, and in 12hrs no smell and won't leave mother's teats alone and drinking 200ml from bottle , faeces now normal .

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 10:01:29 pm »
E. coli?

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 10:10:08 pm »
Thank you all for the input :-)

Went to pick up the electrolytes and meds from vet - turns out she changed her mind after the phone conversation because she dispensed some Vecoxan after all.
The antibiotic dispensed was 4 daily doses of Norodine, which should cover E-coli. (What would be the difference between an antibiotic and an 'antibiotic'?)

I have given the Vecoxan but will hold off with the AB until I see how she is in the morning as she really doesn't act ill - she's bright as a button and was racing around the garden for an hour this evening.

Maybe I worry too much but this horrid poo really doesn't seem right. It does make me feel better to have all the right drugs at hand even if I don't use them all at once - I'm well aware that any kind of drug is indeed harsh to the system, so best avoided if at all possible.
 :fc:

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 10:12:58 pm »
Oh, and I did manage to get a poo sample before giving her anything, so that's going off for testing tomorrow too.

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 11:08:52 pm »
 Well done....v attentive mum so lucky orphans. Good luck...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS