Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from a novice grower and smallholder  (Read 3689 times)

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
Hello from a novice grower and smallholder
« on: May 02, 2016, 04:15:36 pm »
Hi everyone!  :wave:

I thought it was about time I joined a smallholding forum so I can get even more obsessed about this little dream of mine! I currently live in a terraced house in an urban area; keep lots of chickens, have a menagerie of other pets and have started an extremely small scale market garden. I'm lucky enough to have around 40ish acres of farmland in Suffolk that was my grandfathers. Alas, there's no residential building anymore and my husband's current visa restrictions and a lack of finance stop us heading up there yet...BUT, the dream is to build a house and work the land as my grandfather and great grandfather did.

My main question today was about doorstep selling of vegetables, but I couldn't work out the correct topic to post in. I currently sell fresh eggs from home, but am getting to the stage where I want to start selling crops too; pak choi, spinach and mesclun mixes are almost ready to go. I've got a few questions;

- Do I need liability insurance is selling a little amount from home?
- How to price up/weigh/package things like salads?

Any advice would be appreciated. I want to do this all properly and not just jump in without knowing, so I'm hoping there's some sage advice out there!

Look forward to meeting you all,
 ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Hello from a novice grower and smallholder
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 07:39:33 pm »
Hello and welcome to TAS. Can't help with your queries but will watch to see what others post. :thumbsup:

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 07:52:53 pm »
Hi Rosemary, thanks for the welcome.  :excited:

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 08:26:27 pm »
Hello! No idea re the veg, but it sounds a great idea.

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 08:31:29 pm »
Hello! No idea re the veg, but it sounds a great idea.

If I work it all out, I'll have to write up a little post!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 08:37:24 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum from :sunshine:  Mid wales! :wave: Here is some stuff which you might like to read?
http://www.growingformarket.com/articles/Greens-and-lettuce-salad-mixes
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/comply-with-marketing-standards-for-fresh-fruit-and-vegetables
I hope this helps?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 08:52:51 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum from :sunshine:  Mid wales! :wave: Here is some stuff which you might like to read?
http://www.growingformarket.com/articles/Greens-and-lettuce-salad-mixes
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/comply-with-marketing-standards-for-fresh-fruit-and-vegetables
I hope this helps?

Thanks for those links! As always, the gov.uk rules need a little digesting! ha. I loved the growing for market article about being creative with the mixes and getting a delicious salad crop. That's something I need to play with!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 01:07:23 am »
 :wave: and welcome from Shropshire.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 09:33:23 am »
 :wave:and from North Lincolnshire. Doing something similar but already have public liability because we have 3 acres to hand. I understand that the trick is to sell by the bag rather than by weight because you would have to have scales checked by the local authority.  Keep us informed

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 10:17:10 am »
:wave:and from North Lincolnshire. Doing something similar but already have public liability because we have 3 acres to hand. I understand that the trick is to sell by the bag rather than by weight because you would have to have scales checked by the local authority.  Keep us informed

Ooh, that's a good tip about the bag; thanks. I've emailed my local council to ask their opinion too so hopefully I'll find out how to go about this.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 10:27:51 am »
Hello,welcome to this friendly forum and good luck with your venture!

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 06:17:26 pm »
Well, I contacted the local council and was told I needed to register as a food business - it's free and easy.

However, was told there is 'no specific guidance for small scale vegetables', so I suppose I can just sell away. I'm not sure what constitutes small scale or commercial - after all, the plan is to grow this to a full time market garden enterprise. Maybe if I only ever sell direct to customers it's still considered small scale? Who knows!

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 06:28:52 pm »
Welcome, your enterprise sounds like great fun, good luck with it! :) :fc:

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 06:36:17 pm »
Welcome, your enterprise sounds like great fun, good luck with it! :) :fc:

Thanks for the welcome! :D

I'm have a good time. It's VERY small scale - I literally just want to start a market farm in my back garden. But the rules and regs for selling at this level seem very confused. Why am I surprised?! ha!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS