Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Showing  (Read 5030 times)

Isla

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
    • Facebook
Showing
« on: May 02, 2016, 01:20:23 pm »
How do you even enter a show?  I was having a look at websites for my local shows and found entry forms to print for entering scones and begonias and stuff.  But how do I enter my goats? 

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Showing
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 01:43:05 pm »
If a show has livestock classes there should be a schedule and entry form either on line or a number to contact for one. Not all shows have goat classes. Try looking at goat society web sites for a list of shows that hold classes.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 01:48:16 pm »
I've been a competitor in pony competitions all my life.don't think I had much choice lol.

Most shows have websites these days, so search your local area and most will have a downloadable schedule and entry form, or you can always ring the secretary to ask for a hard copy.
Like harmony says not all will have goats tho so echo check the society websites. N go n enjoy x

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 02:41:50 pm »
How do you even enter a show?  I was having a look at websites for my local shows and found entry forms to print for entering scones and begonias and stuff.  But how do I enter my goats?

Scottish Smallholder Festival 2015 Schedule - 2016 will be available soon http://ssgf.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/goat-schedule.pdf http://ssgf.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/goat-entry.pdf

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 02:53:40 pm »
Hi, Isla did you get the grampian goat club newsletter I posted to you in March details of shows with goat classes there. A lot of the summer shows in Aberdeenshire don't have their schedules out yet, though will start appearing soon.(I am helping out with envelope stuffing for Echt show this week. Just checked: Echt Show schedules and entry live on web, Turriff and Tarland won't be out yet. SGF/HGC at forfar entries close 3rd May. GGC/Angus entries close 24th May.)
You just need to contact the secretary and they will send you schedules /entry forms when available. You will need your goats CAE certificate as well for going to shows ( a copy with entries and a copy with you on the day, hope you are able to come to the seminar on he 28th May think there will be a bit on showing as well.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 03:28:51 pm by Talana »

Isla

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 03:01:46 pm »
Thanks all!

hope you are able to come to the seminar on he 28th May think there will be a bit on showing as well
  Yup, have booked a place, looking forward to it  :thumbsup:

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 06:02:05 am »
Grampian Goat Club show schedule and entry forms available here  https://sites.google.com/site/grampiangoatclub/Resources      "GGC 2016 entry.pdf"

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 07:22:20 am »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 10:37:28 pm »
Can anyone confirm if any of these have the facilities to show CAE Accredited stock?  I see most of them referring to BGS CAE rather than SAC PSGHS.

The specific show schedule should state if they do have indeed facilities for CAE accredited goats or not. TBH -  having CAE accredited goats makes the whole lay-out extremely complicated - they have to keep a minimum distance to non-accredited goats of 3ms all the time... and the goat is judged miles away from the others on the line-up.... there are very few accredited goakeepers that show their stock.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 02:19:08 pm »
Echt show will have accredited facilities for goats as well as BGS Tested /Monitored
It usually says on schedule but it is best to double check with the show secretary. It depends on what space they have. There as been accredited goats at various shows I've been to in the past most are on the bgs schemes.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 04:40:51 pm by Talana »

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 03:52:03 pm »
There are 3 schemes for the same disease CAE in goats labratory blood tests all done by sac(sruc) and it causes a great deal of confusion. When originally the disease was on the go the BGS set up their own two schemes below to prevent the spread and hopefully eradicate the disease which showing seemed to help spread it at the time.. The first one you print this form off fill it in with your goats details and your vet will send it off with the bloods they took of each goat to the sac lab you then recieve the certificate back all stamped negative we hope. You test annually and it is the cheapest option(only pay for test and vet) and no extra paperwork just common sense with guidlines to keep your herd clear.
https://www.britishgoatsociety.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/BGS-Non_Monitored-Herd_08.05.2013.pdf

The BGS Monitored scheme allows you to test every 2nd year with an extra member fee and rule s with extra paperwork sent to the bgs office to guarentee your biosecurity. They are allowed contact with whole herd annually tested goats and sac accredited.

https://www.britishgoatsociety.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/BGS-MonitoredHerd_2013.pdf

The Sac Accredited scheme is more expensive with rules and inspections but do have options of extending testing to 2 and 3 years  and do not allow mixing with the BGS scheme as their rules are not identical despite the same test .
The majority of dairy goats do one of the BGS schemes and it's personal choice if the want to do the sac accredited for example you have mv accredited sheep, or create a very high health status herd where you would not be attending shows stud males anyway. Since the establishment and importation of boer and angora goat breeds they and their societys tend to have gone for the sac accreditation. Pygmys tend to do the BGS scheme but it is everyones own  choice.
Shows have limited space and exhibits are penned next to one another usually sheep hurdles and it would be impossible for goats to be penned 3metres away from each exhibitors goats although we try and have tack pens in between each exhibitor.Some Shows can do both bgs scheme goats and sac accedited goats depending on what space they have to work with.

An sac accredited goat keeper is a rare breed.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 04:01:08 pm by Talana »

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 07:51:58 pm »
DEFRA have a rare and native breeds register on their web you can fill it online or print. Goats on the list are golden guernsey, pure toggenburg, pure saanen and bagot and feral. It's supposedly for if theres a major disease outbreak they know where the rare breeds are and may be able to give them soome protection.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/culling-during-a-disease-outbreak-animals-that-may-be-spared

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS