Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: AI and Importing semen  (Read 2596 times)

little brown sheep

• Joined Oct 2014
  • Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant
AI and Importing semen
« on: May 02, 2016, 11:39:46 am »
Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of importing semen and AI in sheep.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: AI and Importing semen
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 12:17:44 pm »
I think you should talk to [member=29066]Tim W[/member]  he may know. I have only ever imported buffalo semen, it isn't cheap and you have to have either a place to store the flask or have an AI technition which could carry it around for you whenever you need it.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 12:26:44 pm »

Try these guys---they are the pros at AI and will be able to advise and sort any imports (if they are possible)

http://www.abreeds.co.uk/

Check if there is an import certificate available for wherever you want to import from first---

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/guidance-on-importing-and-exporting-live-animals-or-animal-products#imports-from-non-eu-countries

From EU is easy (ish) elsewhere may be more difficult

Good luck & get your cheque book ready!

little brown sheep

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 04:14:17 pm »
thanks. I have been talking them I have been advised that it may be cheaper and easier to import live rams instead!

beagh-suffolks

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 04:57:52 pm »
I've imported semen from Scotland to Northern Ireland before that cost very very little

little brown sheep

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 08:44:34 am »
Thanks. This is from Australia or New Zealand!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 09:58:03 am »
would it be nosy for me to ask what breed it is?  :innocent: I hope it all works out well for you and I am wishing you all the best :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 12:46:44 pm »
A few years ago we were trying to arrange the setting up of a Hebridean flock in Oz, using fertilised eggs implanted into local ewes.  It turned out to be prohibitively expensive sadly, and extremely complicated to arrange.  The idea was to have a 'spare' flock somewhere other than in the UK in case of massive disease here.
Is your semen to be imported from already validated sheep, approved for export?  If not then it suddenly becomes more costly.

I'm very interested in how you get on - keep us informed  :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 01:10:34 pm »
Easy ram worth a look, see what they do  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS