Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shearer wanted- Kent?  (Read 2655 times)

EmAbi-Sheep Newbies

• Joined Oct 2015
Shearer wanted- Kent?
« on: May 01, 2016, 08:52:22 pm »
Can anyone recommend/know a shearer (near Bromley, Kent) for 4 ryelands? Preferably available in the next 2 weeks.

Thanks in advance

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Re: Shearer wanted- Kent?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 08:50:58 am »
Hello  :wave:

A very good friend of mine is also my shearer. He tends to do smaller flocks. He has just ordered a new shearing machine so I'm not sure exactly when he'll have it, I'll call him later and ask. Could I have a rough postcode (local pub for example) to see if he can get to you as we are based in Surrey.  If your not too far then all he asks is that the lanolin has risen in the wool.

EmAbi-Sheep Newbies

• Joined Oct 2015
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 06:21:26 pm »
Hello!
Thank you for your reply!

We are about 5 minutes of from this post code CR6 9PH.

Being very new to this whole sheep thing, when you say lanolin risen in the wool, what does that mean?! I assumed it means when the wool starts to naturally come away from the skin. Is that right?

Joeysmallholder

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 01:31:10 pm »
Yes when the wool starts to naturally come away and your field starts to be covered in small pieces of wool, your ready to start. Just keep an eye on the weather. Once sheared they feel the cold badly. I would hold off two more weeks better to be safe then sorry. The only risk of holding off is they can easily get stuck on their backs.

EmAbi-Sheep Newbies

• Joined Oct 2015
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 04:08:19 pm »
They are definitely losing wool already. I am getting concerned about them as they seem to be quite hot. Maybe that's just because I am a newbie and I am a worrier!!

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 04:48:39 pm »
Sorry I've not been in touch. I've called him today and left a message. You should be fine distance wise :)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 06:46:35 am »
Right I've spoken to him and he says he's over Biggin Hill way very often so he's more than happy to come over. His name is Matt and you can say Rachel gave you his number.

EmAbi-Sheep Newbies

• Joined Oct 2015
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 10:19:40 pm »
Thank you very much!

I've not been on this forum long and have very few posts but the times I have posted everyone has been so friendly and helpful.

:thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS