Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hypocalcemia  (Read 2983 times)

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
hypocalcemia
« on: April 30, 2016, 06:10:28 pm »
Hi all - need to chat about hypocalcemia. One of my girls (second kidder) was down this morning and just groaning with each breath. She was due today but didn't show any sign of labour although her udder was enormous. Decided to call the vet who agreed that something wasn't right. No temperature, no mastitis, heartbeat was normal. She decided to play safe and gave intravenous calcium and another under the skin. Didn't really have much effect. After about 30 minutes she went in, opened the cervix and pulled out 2 live kids, (both the right way round and healthy). The vet then gave her another shot of calcium, some antibiotics and painkiller. That was 4 hours ago. The kids have had mum's colostrum every hour and they're next to her under a lamp.

My question is - does anyone have any experience of the time factor for mum to get back on her feet. She just looks exhausted and although she's licked the kids, she's not really interested in anything. She's had some warm water with molasses and half a bucket of cold water and although she's half heartedly tried to get up, she isn't strong enough yet.

Would be interested in your thoughts.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: hypocalcemia
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 06:14:46 pm »
how about giving her some twin lamb drench to see if that helps
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 06:19:36 pm »
Hmm...could do - except it's saturday  night and I don't have any...however, I do have neighbours  :thumbsup:  might go and see if anyone has some kicking around. Can't hurt.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 06:50:21 pm »
If you can't get any twin lamb drench then next best thing is glucose.
You might be able to get some from a supermarket or late night chemist.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 08:55:57 pm »
Time and tlc I would think, I had an old ewe down for three days post lambing. We did keep lifting her so she didn't cramp on one side. She's now running half naked around the field! ( always drops her fleece )
Good luck x

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 09:13:42 pm »
Defo twin lamb drench or Ceto Phyton, or Ketosaid....

also she needs to get up /be lifted to pee/poo etc and also you need to see if she manages to get the placenta out. If not - oxytocin shot from the vet I am afraid (but you can give it I think).

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 09:40:15 pm »
Thanks for your replies. Things have moved on a bit. We got her to her feet using a sling system and once the feeling came back in her legs she stood unaided. She still has afterbirth to get rid of but the vet said give her 24 hours as it was an assisted birth. Unfortunately she has developed mastitis on the side she was lying. Been back to the vet and now have daily antibiotics to inject and tubes to do once a day. She's now lying down again and feeling very sorry for herself but we have managed to get her to drink a bit so she's improving. Vet said as long as she doesn't go backwards we should just keep on with the antibiotics and tubes and see how it goes. One kid is bottle feeding well, the other will suck my finger but wont take the bottle....it's going to be a long night

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 12:01:22 am »
Glad she's on the mend and mastitis usually clears up quite quickly with the tubes (providing you can get them in without her kicking them across the shed like mine did). Hope you get the little one suckling soon so you get some sleep.

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 07:31:12 pm »
Final update:

Had a phone call from the vet this morning to see how the goat was. When I told her she was still down and fading she suggested that we might have a case of toxic mastitis. It would seem that the only course of action left was intravenous fluids. This was done earlier but unfortunately my girl died about 15 minutes after the vet left. Gutted. I do, however, have a darling little female kid from her who is doing well.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 09:15:59 pm »
Oh, no, so sorry.

I have just googled toxic mastitis - I had never heard of it! Looks like you couldn't really have done anything different. I hope the wee girl will do fine - but what a shock.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 09:42:33 pm »
oh how awful  :hug:
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 09:49:44 pm »
How horrible for you, you and your vet did all you could sometimes it isn't enough, best wishes to you and hope your kid does well.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 10:01:43 am »
 :hug:so sorry to hear that

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 01:20:07 am »
So sorry.  :hug:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS