Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Boys, boys, boys  (Read 3494 times)

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
Boys, boys, boys
« on: April 30, 2016, 04:21:18 pm »
Well, this year's lambing is over but most of the lambs are boys. 16 Castlemilk Moorit ewes lambed and 7 had twins giving a total of 23, 17 boys and 6 girls. Only one ewe had help but would most probably have managed by herself. No lambs were born dead or subsequently died. All lambs are thriving.

With the Cotswolds 20 ewes lambed 20 ram lambs and 11 ewe lambs. Only 5 ewes did not produce twins. However, there have been 4 lamb deaths. One shearling ewe had no idea what to do and sat on one of her twin lambs during its first night. The survivor was removed and is being raised as an orphan. A single lamb was found dead after its birth. Two other lambs, both twins, did not survive the first 24 hours, thought to be too weak to make it. One lamb was removed from his mother as she was not producing enough milk and she is suspected of having mastitis. Three lambs had entropion in one eye which was treated with Orbenin cream. Another did not respond to this treatment and the vet stitched both lower eyelids down. 

So over both breeds there are 37 ram lambs and 17 ewe lambs. No ewe had twin ewe lambs and no ewe had a triple.

Regards, Dave

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Boys, boys, boys
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 04:54:08 pm »
Not bad. My flock have given 75-80% ewe lambs and the rest ram lambs. Quite a few lambs I had to pull. Quite a lot of orphans this year, as the flock is a young flock, things will be better next year. Rammy has done a good job and very quickly too because they have all lambed before the end of April. I may be selling him this year, provided I can buy another one, no triplets either. :) 
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 06:34:38 pm »
I've also had a bit of a "boy" (and a bit of a disaster) year.  14 CMM lambs in total. 5 ewe lambs and 9 tups. Lost 2 tup lambs. One tiny and prem and I just couldn't get him to take that first breath. One I'm guessing was the second of twins. Found mum with a healthy dry girl and the boy cold, wet and dead. Sadly also lost a pair of twin girls, one got joint ill and eventually had to be PTS and then mum lay on and squashed the other.
Leaves me with 3 girls and 7 boys (3 of which I'm bottle feeding for various reasons which makes it so hard to send them to slaughter!).

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 07:16:23 pm »
I've also had a bit of a "boy" (and a bit of a disaster) year.  14 CMM lambs in total. 5 ewe lambs and 9 tups. Lost 2 tup lambs. One tiny and prem and I just couldn't get him to take that first breath. One I'm guessing was the second of twins. Found mum with a healthy dry girl and the boy cold, wet and dead. Sadly also lost a pair of twin girls, one got joint ill and eventually had to be PTS and then mum lay on and squashed the other.
Leaves me with 3 girls and 7 boys (3 of which I'm bottle feeding for various reasons which makes it so hard to send them to slaughter!).
Sorry to hear that. I have a bottle fed lamb, which I never castrated in time so he is almost a tup now, he follows me everywhere it will break my heart to send him off :'(
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

shotblastuk

• Joined May 2013
  • Proper Gloucestershire !!
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 01:47:59 pm »
Best not to breed with any with entropion. I believe it's a genetic condition and is starting to become a problem with the Cotswolds which needs to be bred out quickly.
Only had one case this year fortunately it is a castrate so won't be staying.
Good lambing percentage for Cotswolds btw. Haven't lost any this year as yet. youngest is 5 weeks now so should be ok.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 01:50:12 pm »
We won't know ratio til routine, lost my list quarter way through and sooooo the rest has been organised chaos  :innocent:

BUT I think it may be a boy year, tidy!

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 02:39:25 pm »
 I had a ewe year 9 shetland and 1 ryeland ewe all put to a shetland tup, 19 lambs that's 9 x twins and 1 single.

14 ewe lambs and 5 tups...

Only saw 1 set born, none required any intervention...

Got to love my shetlands :-D

If anyone in Scotland needs shetland ewe lambs I will be selling off most if these this year  :)

shotblastuk

• Joined May 2013
  • Proper Gloucestershire !!
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 11:31:12 pm »
Ah Shetlands! Looked after a few for a friend. The  hurdlers of the sheep world. Couldn't wait to see the back of 'em to be honest. Tasted good . I thought they were bred to roam large areas not to be contained? :thinking:

Weeblehg

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 06:55:22 pm »
We got 7 boys and 1 ewe. The ewe was early on (our first lambing) and was rejected by the mother who was more interested in the other dead one! Glad we made the effort to bottle feed for a few days and get her back on the mother or we'd have been facing 100% boys!

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 10:30:04 pm »
Definitely more boys here....about 70/50, would sooner the other way as ewes sold for breeding at weaning.
 :fc: for next year

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS