Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What is wrong with some poultry breeders?  (Read 3792 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
What is wrong with some poultry breeders?
« on: April 30, 2016, 01:57:27 pm »
OK this is a little rant..... Last week I contacted quite a few poultry breeders about their POL which they had for sale, only 2 responded, but they didn't have what I wanted. I managed to contact a breeder, which I sort of know, to reserve 4 POL warrens, she still hasn't gotten back to me and its not like her to be like this at all. I have now contacted a poultry breeder in north wales and he hasn't gotten back to me either, what is going on? They definitely have the ones I want in stock because I checked on their website. I emailed the two of them a second time and still no response. My question now is..... are they ignoring me or aren't they checking their emails? I am going to ring them up today to see what is going on, lets hope I can get it sorted soon. In the meantime does anyone have any poultry breeders that they specifically go to when buying chickens?
Thanks for listening to this silly rant :roflanim:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: What is wrong with some poultry breeders?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 03:08:46 pm »
All sorts of things can go astray with emails.  Phone them.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 08:15:36 pm »
I am assuming that you have tried Pen Rhiw Garn poultry supplies in Crickhowell.

I am constantly surprised at business practices here. I say here but I don't know if things are the same anywhere else.

I have always assumed that people running small businesses would be quite keen to  follow up sales enquiries.... but this does not seem to be the case.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 07:06:35 am by suziequeue »
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 10:37:44 pm »
It is a subject of laughter here .... Nothing happens quickly here in MId Wales!

They probably will get back to you but there will be no hurry.

Do you know Coed y DInas, Welshpool?  Google it. They have a poultry sale this Monday I believe. Just check on their website. It will be Millwood poultry. We have bought pekins, black rock and warrens from them with no problems. You can buy on the day or ring or email to reserve. It does get busy during the day.

Or try Cyril Basons, Craven Arms. They will deliver or you can collect. You may have to wait a few weeks because they sell in batches ... They are a big supplier rather than smaller breeder.

HTH

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 08:54:01 am »
I contacted a breeder in the south of england about hatching eggs and thought they were never going to get back to me but they did, apologising profusely, but that they were in the middle of lambing and just hadn't had time to check emails and stuff. Perhaps it's just a busy time of year, might be worth phoning instead though

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 09:31:00 am »
I believe Pen Rhiw i Garn vaccinate poultry - be aware if you're planning to mix with naive stock.  It's a very busy time of year here - trying to keep the flock in good health with no grass growing and snow and hail three days last week has coincided with calving and sowing for many farms.  Ross-on-Wye rare poultry breeds sale is at the beginning of June and Hereford Livestock Market holds a poultry and pig sale on the first and third Thursdays of the month through most of the year.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 09:54:36 am »
TBH I think that lots of advertisers for all different stock and in fact anything can be slow in replying, don't reply at all, don't take down adverts after items are sold etc. It can be very frustrating when you are looking for something but I always say if you are meant to have it then it will work out.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 10:10:32 am »
Thanks for the advice guys; I think I will chase them up by phoning them. I have contacted cyril-basons twice but havent had any response, their stock is good though as I have bought some from him before, albeit many years ago. If that fails there is one more breeder left to try who just lives up the road, I should really have asked him first. If that fails then I will try the poultry auctions.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 04:00:16 pm »
Don't forget that other than the big commercial guys like Cyril Bason very few breeder will have point of lay available at this time of year.  Many traditional  pure breeds are poor winter layers anyway, and once gone into the moult will be shy layers till spring.  To be point of lay now they would have needed to have hatched them before Christmas.  Stock grows slowly in the winter without lighting and indoor conditions, so they will have kept them in over winter, something that few folk are set up for or willing to do.

Most will breeders will  be hatching now so your best time to buy will be in the late summer or autumn. 

For something now and commercial pol I would suggest Cyril Bason will be your best bet.
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 07:23:40 pm »
Quite right on timing.  We took our last POLs to Hereford Market a fortnight ago - hatched in September.   We keep them in big former pig pens through the Winter so we can select only the very best to keep for breeding this year.  The rejects will have feather stubs or poor feather markings. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS