Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bloat... or just indigestion?  (Read 1412 times)

SallyN

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Nr Chard, Somerset
bloat... or just indigestion?
« on: April 29, 2016, 08:51:54 pm »
Hello, I've got a ewe with a lamb at foot who has the classic signs of a distended abdomen - sticking out at the left-hand side, looks pregnant, etc etc.

She's actually pretty much fine in herself, behaving normally, even running around when I turn up in the hope of some sheep nuts :D The spring grass has come through so I'm thinking she has just overdone it a bit.

Today though she was showing some signs of discomfort for the first time - trying to kick that side of her stomach (or at least that's what it looked like).

Now I'm worried she may be building a case of bloat and I really don't want to turn up at the field to find her sparko. I was wondering if there was a treatment I could make up which might alleviate her symptoms a bit?

She's been on richer grass before and survived... and this is pasture they've been on before (and at this time of year, too).

Any advice gratefully received...
Smallholding without the smallholding, on various bits of rented land and a big veg garden! Small flock of Dorset Down sheep, assorted hens and a couple of idle ponies.

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
Re: bloat... or just indigestion?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 11:06:54 am »
Hello there,  I'm afraid I've no experience (yet?!) of bloat, but I'd noticed no-one's replied yet, which can leave one feeling a bit low, especially if you're worried about your precious woolly animal....
At the top of this forum, however, there's a really good piece about bloat, and fsnutter has explained it and offered some treatment advice including bicarbonate of soda.... it's a good read and may help you get started with some ideas.... good luck  :fc:

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 10:27:39 pm »
I'm not much help either I'm afraid. I've not had a bad case of bloat (yet) and am certainly no expert, but if I feel twitchy about the possibility, I add Bicarb to the feed, take out any grain that I can and make sure they have plenty of hay.  Making them eat it is another matter though!

I am feeding sugarbeet with their ration at the moment, which I'm lead to believe helps with the long fibre content in the rumen.

m3joeEm

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Northern Ireland
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 06:57:28 pm »
Hi, I usually treat with doses of liquid paraffin a few times a day, If that doesn't work then I try a rumen stimulating powder, both as per vets advice. A great piece of advice from my vet to relieve some discomfort immediately/in an emergency is to puncture the rumen with a needle to let some air out, only a temporary relief but can buy some valuable time.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS