Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How big is yours?  (Read 2148 times)

Dave Taylor

• Joined Oct 2015
How big is yours?
« on: April 28, 2016, 08:14:27 pm »
As the title obviously reads... How big is everyones pig pen?

Just out of curiosity more than anything. I've more or less finished our first pen which we will be putting three weaners in hopefully in the coming two or three weeks.

I'd like to think our pen is quite large as I want to give the pigs a really good life. It has the shade of trees, and as its an area that hasn't been touched for god knows how many years there is a lot for them to rummage around in.

Of the top of my head our pen is probably about 55x25m. With the idea, if we need to we can always run an electric fence down the middle and split into two

So how about everyone elses, and how many pigs do you typically keep in it?

Thanks
Dave

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
Re: How big is yours?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 09:11:23 pm »
That sounds really lovely for your pigs - lucky things...
We run a paddock about 30x20m... with three pigs... enough space for them to run around every day (a joy to see), with ark and wallow and tyres etc.  We only use each paddock once a year for the pigs so it gets 8 months to 'recover', and see a bit of sheep action....
Really hope you enjoy your new venture....sounds like they'll have a charmed time of it....

Dave Taylor

• Joined Oct 2015
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 09:32:06 pm »
That sounds really lovely for your pigs - lucky things...
We run a paddock about 30x20m... with three pigs... enough space for them to run around every day (a joy to see), with ark and wallow and tyres etc.  We only use each paddock once a year for the pigs so it gets 8 months to 'recover', and see a bit of sheep action....
Really hope you enjoy your new venture....sounds like they'll have a charmed time of it....

How do you go about putting sheep on? Do you completely reseed it all with a grazing seed mix? Its something i'd also like to do once we have a few pens up

Thanks!
Dave

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 08:34:54 am »
I wouldn't put my sheep on the pig pens, and not any time soon after pigs have been on. Pigs 'eat and discrete' too much copper for most sheep  ;)

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 12:15:21 pm »
Well, the grass just came back naturally after the pigs had come and gone (don't know how many years that will continue...), so when the grass was long enough, we just let the flock wonder in...
I was aware of the copper issue, so discussed with a pal vet and another (v experienced) smallholder before sharing the fields, and both had no concerns.....

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 02:36:43 pm »
Our farm used to have a small-scale (65 sow)  intensive pig unit and the owner sprayed the slurry lagoon contents over the fields.  No problems with the sheep, although they were mostly Mules.  I'd be inclined to let the ground settle with a season's rainfall before letting sheep on and moving them on before the grass got less than around 7 cm long.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS