Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Halter training cattle  (Read 1790 times)

Highlandrose

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Strathnairn
Halter training cattle
« on: April 28, 2016, 07:57:17 pm »
Does anyone have any advice on halter training cattle?

I have been working with our two one-year-old shetland heifers that we got a couple of months ago. One is doing better than the other. They are now both tolerant of the halter and allow me to brush/stroke/rub but I am needing them to learn to walk with it so what do people do? How do people have their cows looking brilliant at the Royal Highland Show, etc? At what age do most people start training their cows/calves?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Halter training cattle
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 09:58:36 pm »
I start training mine at a couple of weeks old.  I think there was a post done on this last year or the year before.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 06:31:05 am »
As well as the more recent thread linky, we did one on 'pressure and release' a while back linky
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 10:09:03 am »
It's easier with two people - one coming behind to gently encourage forward movement  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS