Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to keep Cambridge roller free from mud  (Read 3690 times)

jbthecamel

• Joined Sep 2015
How to keep Cambridge roller free from mud
« on: April 28, 2016, 07:47:38 pm »
Hi all. I have a Cambridge roller and it tends to pick up and hold onto clumps of mud. Before long my roller has doubled in size and weight !!

I was thinking of mounting some metal spikes on the frame to scrape any clumps off or even use brushes ?

Anybody come up against this problem before ?

Jb

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
Re: How to keep Cambridge roller free from mud
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 08:08:54 pm »
If it's collecting mud it's too wet for rolling. Cambridge rolls are for breaking down clods in cultivation or compreesing a seed bed and should be used when the land is dryish. If it is too wet you'll just make a big mess.

jbthecamel

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 10:03:04 am »
Thanks, i suppose the best solution is not to roll it on sticky stuff  ;D

HOWEVER, i'm currently on a push in an attempt to improve the drainage in some areas of my field.  i am using a subsoiler which so far is doing a good job but does require rolling afterwards.  I have tried different conditions and if i leave it to be completely dry, the ground is so hard the roller has no effect. If like at the moment there is only just enough moisture in the ground for the roller to do anything the mud sticks.  Perhaps i have particularly sticky mud.

Anyway, as i said above i have to do it in those conditions so i need a solution ??

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 02:17:08 pm »
In which case Cambridge roll isn't really the right tool for your job.
 You need a flat roller , the heavier the better. These usually have a scraper bar on them to remove build up of mud so that issue will be resolved. (if you get an old one which hasn't a scraper on it , its not that difficult to fabricate and fit one)

jbthecamel

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 02:32:53 pm »
Yeah that's what I'm starting think, wrong tool for the job.

Irrespectively I think I'm going to try and put some sort of scraping device on it. Will post some photos

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 06:19:23 pm »
You should be able to rig up a scraper easy enough,  you could fabricate a box over the top to add weights, as your Cambridge rolls will be on the light side still.

I have seen it where someone has turned them on end and filled with concrete !   I'm not necessarily recommending that.

I have a very effective roller I made using an old barrel. Bar through the middle and filled with concrete. Then built towing frame (with scraper!) around it. Works well for small areas.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS