Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What age should goats be given a mineral lick?  (Read 3247 times)

beeches4791

• Joined Aug 2015
What age should goats be given a mineral lick?
« on: April 28, 2016, 07:15:25 pm »
Hi there,

We have just taken ownership of two gorgeous pygmy goats who are 12 weeks old. 

I'm aware that goats should be given a mineral lick/supplement and wondered if anyone could confirm what age to start giving this to them?  I've looked at quite a few products but none of them seem to specify an age to start the supplement.  Could anyone advise whether they are suitable to give them now at 12 weeks or whether I should wait until they are a little older?

Many thanks for your help.

Claire

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: What age should goats be given a mineral lick?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 07:28:34 pm »
I've no experience with pigmy goats only dairy and angoras.
Some of my crossbred kids are licking enthusiastically at the red rockies. They're about 2 months old.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 09:36:37 am »
Just stick a Red Rockie into their pen, when they need it they will use it. But often if they get a balanced diet they will not touch it for ages, and then all of a sudden you notice a big chunk of it gone...

DODx

• Joined May 2016
  • South lanarkshire
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 08:06:23 pm »
My two year old pygmys went crazy with it when I gave them a mineral lick, they were lying in it, sleeping in it, fighting over it until it got to about half way down now they just walk by it!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS