Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: PDing disaster!  (Read 4152 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
PDing disaster!
« on: April 28, 2016, 04:20:26 pm »
 hey guys I am back and not with good tidings :( I really don't believe this is happening we had all of the imported heifers from last year AI'd with really expensive, top quality semen and I have just had the PD results through, only to find that there is only one of them  which has taken. This means yet another programme and yet another lot of semen, my Dad literally has his head in his hands, this is something we cannot afford to happen! :'(
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: PDing disaster!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 04:24:29 pm »
ahh nice to see you back .
similar thing happened with my friends AA cattle. not good

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 04:28:56 pm »
Glad you back  :hug:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 04:32:52 pm »
Glad you're back - wish it was with better news though  :(

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 07:50:48 pm »
Glad you've come back to us but sorry it wasn't with better news  :hug:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 08:11:17 pm »
That is not so good but glad you are back, I have missed you!

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 09:16:15 pm »
Good to see you back, but what bad luck with your cows. Is there no come back with the AI folk?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 09:50:52 pm »
no not really. We did a PD with milk proteins, apparently they can tell by that. 1 of them definately is, 1 is a maybe. I think we may have overreacted a little by the news and are going to double check via a vet in a couple of weeks which we do anyway. We also have a young bull running with them, so if theyre not then he should cover them for us. I really hope they did get it wrong because semen is not cheap.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 10:15:46 am »
Difficult to draw any statistical information from such small numbers, but I read one article which said that 65% was the normal conception rate for maiden heifers to first service, so 50% is probably in the margin of error.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 11:39:34 am »
Sorry it isnt great news but I am pleased you are back.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 02:42:45 pm »
yes 50% AI.  We had 10% failure - even though we did the AI the bull was put in 2 weeks later so unable to conclude which ones are which.  Because we want to block calf there was no room to leave gaps.  All should calf within 6 weeks. Just unfortunate.  Could be due to a number of reasons like being fat, poor condition, age, prev poor fertility, injected incorrectly or just bad luck.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 01:59:39 pm »
This is one of the reasons I prefer natural service for everything.  Bulls, rams, boars, turkey stags .... they're all experts!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 02:03:13 pm »
Yes we have bulls too which cover them if anything goes wrong, however we AI because we have to build up milk yields in the herd and it would be too costly to buy in expensive bulls, some of these bulls can cost anything up to £10,000 each, depending on which one you buy, that includes importation cost :) Anyway its the vet in 2 weeks for putting his hand in and seeing, I really hope the milk proteins test was wrong, apparently they also send a copy to the vets for reference before they come out and PD.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 06:39:47 pm »
Would it not be easier to get them scanned?
Pregnancy can be accurately detected at 30 days, so you only need one test.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 07:14:55 pm »
Yea that's what the vet does when he comes, he has a scanner which he inserts into their backsides. It is fantastic to see the calf in there, he showed us how to look for a calf on a scanner. Apparently they can feel the fetus at 3 months? Then after that the fetus drops and they can't feel it for another 3 months. We usually scan them at about 5-6 weeks, which means if they have taken he can usually tell, it is usually at least half in calf by AI and almost all by the bull.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS