Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: milk sheep  (Read 5554 times)

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
Re: milk sheep
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 03:58:04 pm »
Thanks for the info, Waterbuffy, I don't want the sheep myself because I don't have any limestone caves to go with them otherwise I would go into pseudo Roquefort production! I just lurve Roquefort.

Regards, Dave

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 05:55:54 pm »
Thanks for the info, Waterbuffy, I don't want the sheep myself because I don't have any limestone caves to go with them otherwise I would go into pseudo Roquefort production! I just lurve Roquefort.

Regards, Dave
[member=590]daveh[/member]  You wouldn't be able to call it roquefort cheese though, as roquefort cheese is a DOP which means it can only be called roquefort if it is made in certain area's in France, according to EU law this is what it stipulates..... Though similar cheeses are produced elsewhere, EU law dictates that only those cheeses aged in the natural Combalou caves of Roquefort-sur-Soulzon may bear the name Roquefort, as it is a recognised geographical indication, or has a protected designation of origin. You could however make it and call it a different name instead, that is if it was for commercial cheesemaking. There is someone in England which makes a cheese which is essentially Feta, but because Feta is a DOP protected cheese, which means it can only be called feta if it is made in Greece, they punned on the name and called it Veta.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2016, 06:19:56 pm »

You wouldn't be able to call it roquefort cheese though, as roquefort cheese is a DOP which means it can only be called roquefort if it is made in certain area's in France, according to EU law this is what it stipulates..... Though similar cheeses are produced elsewhere, EU law dictates that only those cheeses aged in the natural Combalou caves of Roquefort-sur-Soulzon may bear the name Roquefort, as it is a recognised geographical indication, or has a protected designation of origin. You could however make it and call it a different name instead, that is if it was for commercial cheesemaking. There is someone in England which makes a cheese which is essentially Feta, but because Feta is a DOP protected cheese, which means it can only be called feta if it is made in Greece, they punned on the name and called it Veta.

I guess it could be called "Rock4"  :innocent:

Think I'll patent that....

Timothy5

• Joined Oct 2015
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 02:10:48 am »
I tried Frieslands some years back, and found them to be very prone to foot rot. Perhaps I was unlucky, but never again.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS