Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: milk sheep  (Read 5575 times)

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
milk sheep
« on: April 28, 2016, 12:42:39 am »
Does anyone keep milk sheep?

I'm wondering if sheep will continue to produce milk if you continue to milk them, or are they like cows and dry up after a while?

I have one ewe with a very big udder so fancied having a go when the lambs are older.  Only problem is, she's pretty flighty!!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 01:02:34 am by Hevxxx99 »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: milk sheep
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 01:29:23 am »

There's a sheep's cheese farm just across the valley from us.  I think their ewes go on milking for about 7 months.  Maybe depends on breed.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 06:15:40 am »
I keep Zwartbles which are predominantly milk sheep but haven't milked them - mainly cause only one ewe lambed this year and was a bit poorly to start with so she didn't need the hassle. I'm hoping with all 6 lambing next year, I'll be able to have a taste :D

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 06:45:34 am »

Some will milk for 10 months in the right conditions --- Awassi breed are one of the best I think

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 01:35:56 pm »
Here people have freisians! Lovely looking sheep and very milky! Also very fertile, quads are common and the mums have more than enough milk. I want some this year!

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 03:50:28 pm »
Anyone know which breed of sheep are used to produce Roquefort cheese.

Regards, Dave H

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 04:55:24 pm »

Regards, Dave H
Yes the lacaune. There is a breeder in scotland which breeds them and milks them to make sheeps cheese, when I was looking into buying sheep for milking I contacted him and he was very helpful :) If you like I can give you his details?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 05:13:22 pm »

Regards, Dave H
Yes the lacaune. There is a breeder in scotland which breeds them and milks them to make sheeps cheese, when I was looking into buying sheep for milking I contacted him and he was very helpful :) If you like I can give you his details?

That's my neighbour across the valley  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 07:16:35 pm »

Regards, Dave H

You can also find them in Lancashire

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 07:18:45 pm »

Regards, Dave H

You can also find them in Lancashire
Really?! If I had known I would have bought some ::) I ended up having to buy some friesland crosses for milking
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 09:26:41 pm »
So.. how much milk will each ewe give on average?

Or is that one of those "length of string" questions?

I'd love to make sheep's milk cheese but suspect one ewe won't quite produce all the milk required for the job!

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 07:12:10 am »

[/quote]
Really?! If I had known I would have bought some ::) I ended up having to buy some friesland crosses for milking
[/quote]

http://www.thesheepmilkcompany.co.uk/about-us/

Here

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 07:14:11 am »
So.. how much milk will each ewe give on average?

Or is that one of those "length of string" questions?

I'd love to make sheep's milk cheese but suspect one ewe won't quite produce all the milk required for the job!

Depends on system/feed etc
In UK average yield is about 320l but 650l is recorded on the most intensive units and in Israel 850l up is common

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 07:29:28 am »
Wow! That's quite a difference;

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2016, 11:48:15 am »
Wow! That's quite a difference;

The difference I have observed after visiting quite a few sheep dairies recently is down to

1) Genetics --some people just milk any old sheep whilst some spend considerable time and effort on recording and improving
2) Systems---this is perhaps where the largest difference is at the moment
  I have seen 200l operations that milk sheep predominantly off grass and on the other hand there are operations that are mostly housed (little bit of grazing) , fed TMR, plenty of grain and will give 650l/head

Which route you go down would depend on market and opportunity I guess?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS