Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Free range farrowing - help!  (Read 2594 times)

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
Free range farrowing - help!
« on: April 27, 2016, 07:21:25 pm »
Hello

My lovely sow is due to farrow next month, she has a pen of about an acre with a house for sleeping in... I am just wondering if the house is big enough for her to give birth in and if I need to make any adaptations. The house is about 1.5m by 1.2m. She shares a fence with her pal and they chat now and then, but they were arguing a bit so they aren't in the same area anymore!

She is a Hampshire x (red with a white band round her shoulders!) and a fairly good size though nothing like a large white etc.

I want to get everything ready so she doesn't get stressed by changes later on. So how big should the area be? and do I need farrowing rails etc. I have read so many conflicting theories. I am keen on a free range natural approach, I don't want to close confine her etc if I dont have to. But I do have the option of putting her in the barn if thats better.... I read sows squash less piglets if you just let them make a nest and get on with it!

What are your thoughts/experiences?

Thanks!

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
Re: Free range farrowing - help!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 07:59:15 am »
Some sows will squash no matter what the situation, others wont. Most squishing tends to happen in the first 48/72 hours, after that they should be on their feet enough to know to get out the way  ;)

I'd say the house isn't big enough, even if you're not going to put rails up, I'd make sure that they had a creep area available to get out of mums way, especially when she's about to lie down/get up. Can you extend it a little bit? Remember the weaners will also need to somewhere to sleep and they can be a reasonable size by 8 weeks - and if she has a lot it'll be a tight squeeze!

Also you need to consider what you're going to do if for whatever reason you need to get into the house with her/weaners. I'd recommend a creep area of at least a metre squared, and then a good chunk for mum to get comfy in.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 08:21:47 am »
Ditto Sophie.
Even our little Kunekune pigs got a bigger space to farrow in - 2m x 2m was theirs. A big breed generally would be better with 2 x 2.5m or a little more.
I'd also suggest a fender/solid low rail to stop young piglets wandering out the arc and getting lost in the first 24-48 hours

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 08:31:44 am »
ours farrow in standard size arks (2.4mx2.4m)

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 11:50:40 am »
Thanks guys! Very helpful indeed! I knew I had to make the ark bigger just wasn't sure how big to make it so this is great. 2.4 X 2.4 with a creep area and a barrier to stop wondering piglets sounds good to me!

Thanks again! :pig:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 12:55:37 pm »
I used to love watching my Kunes gently heap straw over their sleeping babies before going out to feed etc, and when they went back in carefully nose about in the heap to locate their piglets before lying down.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 02:09:36 pm »
I'd consider putting her in the barn.  The sow needs space to lie on her side and be able to get up and manoeuvre around sleeping piglets.  Mine have an area at least 2.5 x 2.5m inside a sty, with farrowing rails 23cm high, so they have to lie down carefully.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 05:50:10 pm »
ours were free range but farrowed in the stable. protects from badgers etc ad gives you chance for late night cuddles checks.
one sow who did farrow outside quashed one.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS