Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hatching eggs in incubator question  (Read 2857 times)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
Hatching eggs in incubator question
« on: April 27, 2016, 07:04:18 pm »
I hope this isn't a really dim question, but I'm going to have to get hatching eggs online as I can't find anyone with the two breeds that we want to incubate that we can go pick them up from and my question is, if we are getting them from two different sellers they'll probably not come on the same day - can we put the eggs into the incubator a day or two apart? Or do all the eggs need to go in together?
Thanks very much
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
Re: Hatching eggs in incubator question
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 07:30:31 pm »
You can but you will have staggered hatching, best to put them in all at the same time that way they will all hatch together it will make your job much easier! Good luck  :chook:

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 09:17:26 pm »
When the first set of eggs arrive you can let them stand until the second lot arrive.  Even when the second lot arrive it is best to let them stand for 24 hours (pointy end down?)  and then put them all in the incubator together.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 10:10:45 pm »
Just as others have said, wait and do them together.

I often make this mistake; my hens lay another couple and then another couple of eggs, and I can't resist putting them in! They all hatch, then there's stragglers over the next few days - they need to be sectioned off from the bigger (older) chicks, as otherwise strong chicks like to stand on tiny new ones that just want to sleep. I can make it work by putting a cage inside the brooder, but it just complicates the whole thing! Pleased with myself, as not done it this time.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 10:52:23 pm »
Definitely don't recommend mixing start dates. Just incubate twice - more fun anyway  ;)  Last thing you need is a chick spending days on its own.

Posted eggs can do well but often produce poor results, especially if packaged in the currently popular styrofoam type egg boxes - they have nowhere near enough padding, and it's the padding / stuffing in the box (the way Amazon for example fill excess space in their boxes with paper and bubblewrap) that provides protection against shocks. So that's the first thing to watch out for with online sellers: how they package the eggs and are they willing to add better protection.

The second thing is to stay clear from are sellers who claim they can't be held responsible for poor hatching rates when eggs have been through the postal system because that affects fertility. It's nonsense, being posted affects hatch-ability (as per the above), not fertility, and you can check for fertility even when the non-developing eggs have spent that first week in the incubator already.

When you get the eggs, candle them already and see if the contents sloshes about or not. Check against one of your own chickens' eggs if you're not sure. If the egg yolk moves all around the egg when you turn the egg it's a bad sign, it's been treated too roughly (e.g. the postman's bag bumping all the time during his round), and leaving it rounded end upwards in an egg box for 24h as mentioned by other people helps to hopefully resettle everything so that the air sac will be in the right position.

Will all the eggs come from the same seller? If so, then I would order 6 eggs of one breed, incubate them, and only if fertility was good I would order the other 6 from that person. Remember that you're unlikely to have a 100% hatch and there could be many boys.

Something tells me you'll be googling lots in the coming weeks  ;)

Have fun!  :)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 09:43:38 am »
Thanks for the advice!
I've found somewhere I can get one of the breeds we want where I can go pick them up  so, a nice day out next week!
I'm going to do what you suggest Eve, do that batch first and then see if I can find somewhere driveable to for a second batch of the other breed!
I'm way too excited for a grown woman!!
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 12:34:07 pm »
So exciting. I have some due to hatch tonight and never fail to get all giddy about it  :excited:
Which breeds did you decide on?
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 01:10:12 pm »
I don't know what size your incubator is, but one other tip is to do a fair few if you can. 
If you only buy 6, it's easy to end up with 2 pet cockerels that you have showered with love since they hatched.
If you can do 10 or 12 there's more chance of getting a few hens as well (even if it's not a great hatch rate) and 6 chicks look a bit better in a brooder than 2 or 3. Best of luck with whatever you do!

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 05:39:05 pm »
Jukes Mum - I'm going to start with Silkies and I've really pleased that i've found a breeder I can collect them from which seems preferable over having them posted!
I really like my laying hens - we have a cream legbar, exchequer leghorn, two marans, an araucana and a welsummer. We have enough eggs for us and to give away to friends and neighbours at the moment as they're laying really well so I'd like to get some pretty friendly hens to have in the garden. Our plan is to do therapy visits, ideally with our donkeys although saving up for a suitable trailer is going to take some time, so perhaps we can start smallscale with fluffy chickens and bunnies!

Steph Hen - I bought the Brinsea mini advance, and I think it only takes 7 eggs at a time, so i'll get 7!
I'm so keen to get started and at the same time, there's a lot to learn! I'm reading Keeping Chickens For Dummies and making notes!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS