Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: turned in eyelashes  (Read 2815 times)

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
turned in eyelashes
« on: April 27, 2016, 05:04:29 pm »
I didnt like to ask this on kanishas thread, because it really needs a thread of its own :) What I would like to know is.....what causes turned in eyelashes?  In this case sheep, or indeed any other animal. Is it to do with infection, malformation or the way that they're born? Am I right in thinking that older sheep can also suffer from this? Can it also result in blindness if it is not dealt with?
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: turned in eyelashes
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 05:20:41 pm »
I think it can be genetic from the ram but stand corrected if that's different. Yes it can cause blindness if not dealt with promptly- 1ml of pen strep into each eyelid will puff them out and stop them from turning in. It can be really nasty, normally needs some cream into the eye to treat any ulceration too. We had a little dorset x lamb with it this year in both eyes, she went off her milk because her eyes were so sore so it really needs addressing asap. Not sure about older sheep- are you confusing it with pink eye?

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 05:35:43 pm »
I find it all the more curious that its easily reversible
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 05:53:09 pm »
There's an older thread here about entropion with some good information and references:

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=33033.0

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 08:32:32 pm »
Thanks for that Dan, I will definately take a look :)
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 09:17:10 pm »
We had twins treated for this with pen/strep injections.  Not pleasant but it certainly worked.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 09:49:58 am »
We always have a few lambs with one or both eyes affected by entropion - fewer this year though. I've never used pen/strep; I just turn the lids into the right position every time I go past the pen. Sometimes I only have to do it once, sometimes three or four times, but it's never not worked and never taken longer than 24 hours.

I worked on a farm labing 600 ewes 30 years ago and we had the same thing and had the same solution.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 02:42:35 pm »
We always have a few lambs with one or both eyes affected by entropion - fewer this year though. I've never used pen/strep; I just turn the lids into the right position every time I go past the pen. Sometimes I only have to do it once, sometimes three or four times, but it's never not worked and never taken longer than 24 hours.

I worked on a farm labing 600 ewes 30 years ago and we had the same thing and had the same solution.

Easy enough  to treat in a pen, but when lambing outside its best to inject then you don't have to catch them again.
I believe it is genetic and comes through the Rams side.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS