Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Raising goats for meat- a couple of questions please  (Read 2021 times)

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
Raising goats for meat- a couple of questions please
« on: April 27, 2016, 03:23:08 pm »
Hello. I'm thinking of raising my male kids for meat this year (last year we found them homes but I'm sure we were just really lucky!)
They are still on mum and nibbling a bit of her feed and hay etc.. I will let them wean naturally but when should I start feeding them their own ration? And how much should they get please?

Also does anyone have an idea about slaughter costs and butchery costs please?

If it goes well this year, I might buy a few kids from the local 'mega-dairy' down the road. I've found some information about how much milk replacer they will need and for how long but cant find any information about concentrates.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions I would be very grateful. Thank you

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
Re: Raising goats for meat- a couple of questions please
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 03:36:26 pm »
kill and cut, anywhere from £18 to £30 at places we've used.

creep feeding if you're into that sort of thing, from a couple of weeks onwards really.... just a little though, for them to nibble and get them used to eating solid things.

no idea on the right ration for fattenning I'm afraid.

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 03:59:05 pm »
Thank you farmershort!

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 03:33:14 pm »
Hi - we raise boer goats for meat.  We introduce creep at about 3 weeks in a creep feeder. Before that they eat their dams rationfrom the dam's buckets  We feed GLW grower finisher to all goats from start to finish.  It is pellets not nuts so is small enough for creep.
I would give your kids access to a creep area and gradually build them up to ad lib - refresh daily  In terms of what to feed - could use mother's food depending on what it is otherwise a calf creep and then moving onto cattle rearer / grower / beef nuts - speak to your agric merchant nutritionist.  We find if fed adlib it avoids the difficulties of trying to up amounts and then risking them gorging as they eat little and often. Protein can be from 16-18%. We wean at 12 weeks. They will finish quicker if you bring them inside but make sure that they are used to eating hay - we give ad lib in the field as well as the grass.
We pay £20-£25 for kill and cut

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS