Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wildflower count this year?  (Read 2124 times)

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
wildflower count this year?
« on: April 25, 2016, 11:30:11 pm »
according to my diaries which I have kept over the years since I moved to where I live at the moment  the wildflower count has gone down, quite quickly too. For example there where a huge variety of wildflowers spread over the pasture, however since 2013 the wildflower count has gradually decreased; Could this be to do with the fertilizer in the ground? I used to rent my fields out to a contractor for hay  before I had a lot of stock, I finished renting it out at the end of 2013, when the problem started, could this be a coincidence? I have a neighbour who muck spreads them every year or so, I was wondering whether that also could be a factor including the varying weather patterns over the years. Who else has been affected by this and what could I do to prevent further decline? Would reseeding be an option? All opinions welcome!
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: wildflower count this year?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 12:08:04 am »
Interesting.  Usually, the higher the fertility the more of a struggle the wildflowers have, partly because they don't like high nitrogen and partly because they are out-competed by the grass.
Timing of cutting will affect the return of flowers - they need time not only to finish flowering but to set and scatter their seeds. If the immature seeds are removed in the hay, then there will only be the seeds stored in the ground to regrow the next year.
If your pasture has been fertilised and had muck spread on it, then been cut before seeds are set, then the wildflower count will decrease.
The accepted way to make an area more wildflower friendly is to reduce fertility - this can be done by adding no fertiliser or muck, cutting late after seeds are set, and disposing of the plant residue.  Apparently over a few years the ground will be more appropriate to wildflowers.
Grazing by livestock will also have a detrimental effect on flowers, as they will eat down the flowers, often selectively, so they are soon wiped out.  You can graze a wildflower meadow, but only once seeds are set.  Ideally you would also remove the manure.   Wildlife trusts have to consider this problem, as they need livestock grazing to keep down invasive species, such as birch when they don't want the return of trees to the area, so grazing has to be timed carefully, and stock are not allowed to eat concentrates while grazing these areas.
Reseeding is definitely not the correct way to proceed - even if you sow a wildflower meadow mix, you will be getting generic wildflowers rather than the ones native to your patch.
You have to decide which you want - wildflowers, or a commercial return from renting to a contractor, or a pasture to be intensively grazed by your stock.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 12:16:22 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 07:47:46 am »
Everything fleece wife said is right.

It may be appropriate to fence off an area for your flowers, no muck, no grazing, then cut and remove standing grass/stalks after flowers have seeded.

Unfortunately, the reason Britain has lost over 98% of its wildflower meadows is because farming and wild flowers don't really work together.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 04:35:50 pm »
The grazing on our fields reduced in around five years from when the previous owner used to spray pig slurry.  Its resilience has improved as there are more deep-rooted wild flowers such as sheep's sorrel, yarrow and plantain.  Despite being fenced off the broad-leaved helleborine orchids haven't appeared for the last two years, though.  What comes up some years I'm sure depends a lot on the weather the previous year.  Sometimes the fields are pink with ladysmock and sometimes you hardly see one.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS