Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When to Worm and When take off heat?  (Read 1726 times)

ricardodba

• Joined Apr 2015
When to Worm and When take off heat?
« on: April 25, 2016, 06:49:36 pm »
Hi Guys,

My Chicks are now 3 weeks and i'm wondering if i should worm them and when to worm them.

My other 5 adult hens were wormed when i purchased them. They free range with neighbors cockerel and hens...i dont think neighbors hens and cockerel are wormed.

Should i worm my chicks?...they will be introduced to my 'flock'  and allowed to free range with them once old enough.

Also, at what age do you guys take your chicks off heat?

Thanks.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: When to Worm and When take off heat?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 08:05:25 pm »
No, and it depends.  :)

Definitely no need to worm them now and it wouldn't do their little insides any good, wait until they are much older.

Your chicks still need heat for several weeks, especially if they are outside even if it wasn't freezing cold at the moment. Which type of heating do you use and how are the chicks housed? And how many are there - a large group will generate much more warmth than a few chicks.
When they get to 7 weeks or so, have a look under their wings to see if there is enough down - chicks often look fully feathered but under their wings is one of te last places to feather up so it's a good place to check.

ricardodba

• Joined Apr 2015
Re: When to Worm and When take off heat?
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 09:10:15 pm »
chicks are housed in an outbuilding within a 4ft x 2ft wooden brooder ,which i built this weekend. They seem to like the additional space to that of their original cardboard box!...im using a heat plate for heat...the low wattage is ideal for me as im off-grid.

I only have 3 chicks. They seem to be happy under the heat plate and are drinking and eating well. Im feeding them chick crum.

I'll be building a contained run for them soon for when they can go outside...just out of wood and chicken wire...and then introduce them to the existing flock when old enough.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS