Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Looking for a new chicken coop  (Read 2747 times)

Old_chapel_apple_juice

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Meifod - Powys
Looking for a new chicken coop
« on: April 24, 2016, 05:48:20 pm »
Hello all
I opened the door of my custom built chicken coup this morning to find everyone's worst nightmare
7 dead ducks and 5 dead chickens with more missing
I built it with pallets and fence posts but have been thinking for some time that this is just asking for trouble from red mites so I'm going to upgrade the house anyway as a fox has now made this decision for me.
I was thinking of buying a strong plastic shed from Costco and just seeing if anyone else has done this and how they would rate it
Thank you

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Looking for a new chicken coop
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 08:49:21 pm »
Have a look at images online for inspiration of plastic sheds converted to coops, just make sure it has ventilation.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 10:59:38 pm »
Condensation would be a problem i think - there's a creosote substitute I think for wooden sheds

Been discussed before - http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=62963.msg520453#msg520453
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 08:36:35 am »
My chicken coop is wooden. The size is roughly a 4ft cube with a removable roof and lino on the floor ( no expense spared). 
I find it very easy to keep the red mites down with a blowtorch once every 4 weeks in the summer months.

I have made pallet coops and just kept them for 2 seasons - just burn the old one and make a new one.
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 01:42:54 pm »
I have a fox proof run using dog run panels on concrete.  It's easy to put a sheet of tin on top (drill holes in the tin and fasten with cable ties) and to rig up a coop area from gash wood and ply tied to the outside of the run.  Two metal rods secured across the run at about 60cm high support a bit of ply for the roof.  We've cancelled the House & Garden photo shoot, of course!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS