Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cost of fencing?  (Read 11919 times)

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Shropshire / N Wales Border
Cost of fencing?
« on: April 24, 2016, 11:26:54 am »
We went to see an 8 acre small holding yesterday which would be perfect for our plans. However we keep goats and so are all too aware that the fencing needs belt and braces. The boundaries  were largely hedgerows with some dodgy looking fencing. All would need to be replaced. We have no idea of cost. Currently we knock posts in with a clanger ( sure there is a technical name for that) and hand stretch our fencing. For 8 acres we reckon we need some professional help. Any idea of the approximate cost? We are n Shropshire/ n Wales border. Thanks

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
Re: Cost of fencing?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 11:50:48 am »
Would the fencing be OK for all of your pigs? 

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 12:36:23 pm »
Around £5 - £5.50p per linear metre (+VAT) if contractor is VAT registered. Otherwise just VAT on materials. Steep land and cutting back existing hedges, removing old fencing will be extra (so best done yourself if you can.

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 01:09:27 pm »
Thanks for the replies.
Re pigs - there are pig sties there already and we would use electric fencing outside that.
Will work out the cost
Thanks !

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 04:45:27 pm »
I agree with henchard however how big are the goats?

You may need 7 foot posts and an extra couple of top wires?

Your looking at about 4 grand.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 04:49:06 pm by bazzais »

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 08:10:26 pm »
Thanks. Goats are boer and although not the best escape artists in the world they are probably a close second!!
Appreciate all the help. Thanks everyone

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 03:25:42 pm »
We had some fences done last year. It cost £4.50/meter plus about £18 for every straining post. Helps if everywhere is accessible with a tractor for knocking in the strainers, costs more if they need to be done by hand. Thats for standard rylock mesh with a barb on top.

We have two GG billy goats. Needless to say they weren't long in working out where they could jump over so I ended up putting an extra top wire on to raise certain sections a foot.

I'd say its worth getting the professionals in, they'll do a far better job and the fence will stay up a lot longer.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 11:20:11 am »
prices vary due to the quality of the fencer.  We do fencing and have seen others. I am sure ours comes in £7 - £10per lm. Some is shocking and we had a lad working for us who was a true perfectionist but that comes at a price.  The trouble with the posts is the poor quality of the timber and covering it with chemicals doesnt get around the fact that posts can be very poor.  So sourcing top notch timber is essential - even get from british stock as much is imported.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 08:22:01 pm »
Or consider metal fencing.  I'm decking my new smallholding out with Clipex metal posts.  Everything can be banged in by hand (incl strainers) pretty much (unless like me you've hit bedrock, oops).
Not cheap but is very quick to put up so you save on labour time.  Will not rot, should last 30 years.
Finding a contractor that does it might be tricky, but I'm doing all mine myself pretty much it's not hard.

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 01:33:39 pm »
Thank you for all the advice. sorry for the delay - I only just revisited this board.

Looks like the 8 acre smallholding might not be for us after all which is a shame but I am sure the right one is round the corner  :fc:

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 03:58:56 pm »
Is any small plot of land going to be ready-fenced for goats?

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 10:55:42 am »
I wouldnt pass on a nice site because of 4 grands worth of fence?

Dont forget that fence need to be done every 5 or 6 years - its something you just have to adsorb.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 12:15:28 pm »
Dont forget that fence need to be done every 5 or 6 years - its something you just have to adsorb.
Not necessarily - see my previous post :)

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 12:25:54 pm »

?

Even poor tanalised posts should last 8-10 years. Dipping the posts in barrels of Creosote/waste oil and even red diesel for a while before using them (many farmers leave them soaking for several months) should extend their life to more like 15 years+

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 06:53:09 pm »
Some places rot - year on year - dont matter what you do.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS