Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What would you cross a Kunekune with ?  (Read 15345 times)

HappyHippy

What would you cross a Kunekune with ?
« on: May 04, 2010, 02:28:45 pm »
One of my Kunekune sows hasn't come into pig while running with the boar (I think it's been a few years and still nothing) she's had a litter in the past, but is now 7. I would obviously like to get her 'producing' but am not in a position to have another boar or take her visiting anyone else and am thinking that maybe a wee shot of AI would get her system going ? But therein lies my dilemma - can't get Kunekune semen for love nor money ! So assuming they're not going to be purebred for pets I'm thinking I could cross her with something to hopefully get a 'meatier' piglet - but what ?
I like the idea of large black crosses, but I'm worried about her size verses the size/amount of piglets she'd be likely to have, thinking maybe a saddleback or GOS or maybe even OSB would be the way to go.
Advice please !
Do you think I'm wasting my time giving AI a go with her ?
What would you suggest as a good cross ?
I'm awaiting all your responses with baited breath  ;D ;D ;D

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
Re: What would you cross a Kunekune with ?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 03:32:01 pm »
Hiya Karen

I think you'll need to find a leaner pig to cross with. I originally had her running with a tamworth when she first got here, but no piglets!!
It suited me as syd always had a pal so I wasn't so concerned.

I wonder if it's worth a shot of hormones? I'm sure I read somewhere that it may help bring them on to heat!!

Mmmm, must trygoogling it!

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 04:12:17 pm »
Hiya Lee, she's definately coming into season so I think the hormones are okay ? But I will look into it. Just not sure if Syd's too scared of her lol! I like the fact that they're good company for each other too, but it was pointed out to me that I'd be as well giving the AI a go to see if it got her system going again (and I was going to be getting meat weaners anyway so the cost of AI -v- cost of 2 or 3 weaners, I don't think I've anything to loose financially)
My Dad's coming down firmly in the Tamworth camp for crossing (after I managed to talk him out of the Vietnamese pot bellied pig idea), I just want something nice and calm  ::) Oh, and tasty too  ;)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 07:53:01 pm »
I think I would go for Berkshire, and I'm very interested as I have been given a miniature kune kune who at 3 has never had a litter and am thinking along the same lines as you HH.  Please keep posting as  you go along. 

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 08:16:59 pm »
You would get more success running with a boar than AI, boars can do much more to get things going than a tube! I would hazard a guess though that she is probably barren now, if they do not continue to produce regularly they go barren, also at the age of 7 and being 'empty' for several years would it not be unfair to try and get her in pig now? sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear, but I'm being honest.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 08:24:40 pm »
Cor H.H.Don't tempt me Perhaps not hes kin to pigs already ??? :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 09:16:44 pm »
Dixie, I don't mind you being honest - that's what I'm looking for  ;D
I've never bred pigs before, I wasn't sure if she'd ever have another litter - as you say she might be barren due to length of time without farrowing. To be honest it never even crossed my mind it might be unfair on her - I just assumed cos they live to 11 or 12 that she'd still 'have it in her' as it were  :-\
With the imminent arrival of baby no 4 the last thing I want is to be going buying another boar and since I don't have a trailer I can't really take her to any boars - AI seemed a nice easy solution. My wee boar's trying (bless him) and is making all the right noises and moves when she's in heat but so far it's a no-go - well I'm assuming so as I doubt she'd let him mount her if she was in pig, but I am new to breeding, so maybe she would, I don't know ? I'm not too bothered if she doesn't have a litter, it's company for the boar when the other sow will eventually go off to farrow, just thought it might be worth a try before running out and buying weaners for the freezer. Hope that doesn't sound too cold or heartless - I love my piggies  :love: :pig: :love:

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 09:28:00 pm »
If she's running with the boar and coming into heat, then she would definately 'let him'!! but it would be unusual for her to take if she's been empty for so long, hence why no piggies so far even though there is a boar! unless of course the boar is a 'jaffa' so to speak!! Has he fathered any before? to go down the AI route is fairly straightforward if you know when she is cycling, and not a lot of money to part with, around £25.  I know of some kune x old spots that produced nice, if a bit small, porkers. If you are confident that she is fit and well then I suppose you could try, although I'd pretty much be sure she's barren, sorry! but keep us posted as to what happens!
As a thought, have you seen him actually mount her? if you rub some marker ink (sheep raddle crayon/ink) on his chest then you'll know if he's done it! My pigs just keep 'at it' for about 2 days, usually when theres spectators so I know the deed is done!!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 09:30:59 pm by dixie »

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 09:12:54 am »
Hiya Dixie, thanks for you input  ;D
She does seem very fit and alert, not carrying extra weight and bounding up and down the field, so think she's okay in that respect.
The boar has been mounting her and he's definately ok - he fathered the other sows last litter.
I'm thinking I'll have a really good check over her to make sure she's okay, and providing she looks good might give it a go with the AI - I'll let you know what's happening.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 10:11:03 am »
You can still keep her in with the boar, he will stimulate her cycle, when theres no boar available some buy boar spray, so you wont need that!

Billy Rhomboid

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 02:28:10 pm »
I have 2 female Kunes that originally we were thinking of breeding with a male kune, but are now leaning more towards crossing.
Our pigs are usually sired by a GOS or Berkshire boar, but the offspring will be brought on for meat purposes so my thinking is to cross with a leaner pig - perhaps a Landrace or Welsh. I want a hardy outdoor pig with not too much fat and a bit of hybrid vigour.
My first concern is whether the kunes are physically robust enough to take the weight of a non-kune boar. I presume they must be as I see lots of people crossing them with OSBs and so on, but can anyone advise on this? 

HappyHippy

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 02:41:16 pm »
For me, having done lots of research since this post was originally started, the Berkshire seems to be a good cross Billy. But obviously don't feed as much as a Berkshire to the crosses or else they'll be wee barrells of fat ! They will also be small in comparison to your standard weaners and will take longer to finish too. Landrace or Welsh would be good pork wise, but I'd worry that the size of the piglets and the number of them might cause problems at farrowing and beyond (Kunes don't tend to have as many teats and may struggle to feed a large litter)
Don't worry about their 'robustness' one of my 10 month old gilts was able to take the weight of a fully grown adult Kune boar (an accident, that should never have happened  ::) :-\) but she was fine.
BUT having said all that - pure KK is very nice (if rather long awaited) and doesn't cost as much to produce. My gilt produced 33Kg of cuts (38Kg deadweight) at 11 months - but was only getting 1lb of hard feeding per day and plenty of grass, the backfat was around 15mm  ;) 
Hope that helps a little bit ?
Karen

robert waddell

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 02:45:28 pm »
did you ever get her in pig hh           before i add to the postings :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 03:09:45 pm »
No Robert,
We were poised to AI her (last gasp attempt) when we found someone looking for an older 'companion' pig to keep a pot bellied pig from being lonely. So it worked out alright in the end  ;)
Karen x

robert waddell

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 03:28:53 pm »
OK    seven is to old for a productive pig    and the longer from there last litter it is harder to get them in pig
what to cross with a kune   obviously landrace and welsh are near where billy is   welsh is a big pig though  British lop would be a better option and you can feed them a bit more without the deffinate chance of going to fat
number of piglets that will be born that is down to the sow or gilt and the breeding with pure kunes at one time they had no more than six per litter and is dependent on the number of eggs released by the mother so a boar that comes of a line of having 16 piglets wont get a sow in pig with more than the eggs she releases  the offspring that is entirely different
sows can play hard to get you just have to get a more forcefull boar  the first sow that we had that was like that she beat the s**t out the boar and when she was gouping for it he understandably ran away              the second they fought for an hour then he nailed her (they are back together now and no fighting) :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS