Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When to move sheep to new grass  (Read 3205 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
When to move sheep to new grass
« on: April 24, 2016, 12:02:52 am »
Feel like I'm just asking question after question on here lately!

We've got 6 sheep on a 1 acre field that we are about to separate into 3 smaller areas to rotate grazing. I've got a 4th area, roughly 0.25 acres that they can go to as well. It will be easier to separate the big field without them in it but the grass is quite long in that area. Does that matter or should we cut it before they go in ( :dunce:)

Also when do you move sheep around if you are grazing them like this. Is it based on how long they have been there or how the grass is?

So many questions!

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
Re: When to move sheep to new grass
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 07:13:31 am »
Sheep do prefer grass a bit shorter than some livestock due to the way they graze. But so long as it isn't up past their shoulders..... More important is if it's gone past being palatable, thick and old. In that case I'd top it first  (or even just a strimmer).

As for rotation, some people set a time others do by grass. I tend to do it by grass in their current grazing but also how long the other fields are getting. Always worth thinking ahead too though  (clean grass for weaning? Some for flushing?)

shotblastuk

• Joined May 2013
  • Proper Gloucestershire !!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 08:39:37 am »
Strip graze the longer area. This way they are more likely to eat it rather than just flatten it. I rotate a similar system and go on grass length.(My flock tell me when they're hungry and want new pasture) Top and harrow after the area is grazed which keeps it looking tidy and opens up the thatch for better growth and breaks up sheep muck for more even self fertilising.

smallflockshearing

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 08:54:04 am »
If you graze grass too tightly, regrowth is less vigorous. Ideally (hey, when does that happen?) You should graze down to 4cm then move sheep on, trying to keep stalks below around 8cm... in the real world, if you get seed heads then the goodness will no longer be in the leaves, and if they're breaking out they are hungry!
Carefully shearing small flocks throughout the South-West.

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 06:49:30 pm »
CMMs will take it short, medium, long or very long...strip graze and you can leave them on until there is practically nothing left...they will eat the thatch out if forced to do so... also if there is still green there then you know aren't starving them (although they may beg for easier pickings!)...

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 12:09:24 am »
Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks guys. I'm guessing my estimation of long isn't all that long, maybe up to their knees at most!

Think we will move them into there when we get the first bit of subdividing fencing up in the new field. Will make it easier to work and mean we don't have to finish it all in one day! Although I feel a little bad subdiving it as currently they are enjoying running up and down the field every once in a while.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS