Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Out of season wool loss  (Read 2822 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Out of season wool loss
« on: April 23, 2016, 11:59:08 pm »
Hi all,

This is carried over from my crovect thread.

Two of my CMM have spots on their back just behind their shoulders where the fleece is coming away. At first I thought they were just shedding as some fleece came away from their rear ends very easily when I was dagging.

I did notice them get very wet one of the first weekends we had them, one of the sheep's wool had parted on her back. Could it be damage from rain. I checked them for lice but didn't find anything and they don't seem to be itching like mad, just the occasional head scratch or kick up at the belly.

I've attached a couple pictures, they aren't great though, the girls are still a bit skittish.

Dans

9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
Re: Out of season wool loss
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 08:23:30 am »
I have recently had to treat my sheep for lice after noticing the fleece coming out in random clumps, mostly at the back end. I couldn't find any lice either but there was a sort of yellow residue just above the skin.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 12:13:42 pm »

Can't see the pic clearly but that looks like healthy new growth coming through underneath, pushing the old fleece off.  If there was a problem I think the skin would be bare.

"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 12:21:48 pm »
Perhaps you could have your vet take a sample of wool or a skin scrape.
It doesn't sound too severe, but as there is some itching, it might be worth checking before any irritation gets worse.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 05:08:57 pm »
is it out of season? they should be starting to shed soon....doesnt happen in one day.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 06:28:05 pm »
Castlemilks dont always shed do they ?    :sheep:

Weeblehg

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 06:39:54 pm »
Ours are doing the same. Our ewes who have just lambed started shedding about a month ago. We have some whethers in another field, not adjoining, who have also started shedding. I'm assuming it's just normal - unless someone tells me otherwise?

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 05:34:42 pm »
Hi Dans- that looks like a very normal start to natural shedding or moulting. They will itch a bit and will rub to get it off (and sometimes with their own horn or someone else's!). Some CMM's will start losing patches now- mine are (and if left some may lose most of their fleece- looking a real mess in the interim). Some do not and hold onto their fleece for much longer and don't really shed it much (probably genetically controlled). You may also see on their faces that they will be losing the longer hair replacing it with short. IMO no need to treat for lice. They look well!

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 08:47:36 pm »
Not all of mine shed but those that do are starting now.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 09:18:34 pm »
Sorry it took so long to reply. Baby has reached the age where the laptop is very interesting!

Thanks guys, feel a little more at ease. The vet checked them all over for lice when he was here not long ago as I was a bit worried (one got a bald spot but t turned out to be an abscess).

Their faces have lost the long hair already. I had just started to be able to identify them by their facial 'markings', came back from the weekend away and their faces were all different!

They had started this a week or two ago, I guess they just got going a bit earlier. Booking a shearer in this week for mid-late May. Should I roo what is coming away or wait until the shearer comes?

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 09:52:07 pm »
Hi Dans- mine are in various stages of early moulting. In terms of rooing...if you want to keep all the wool then do so...but it is a bit early and you may only get what is loose around that small patch...don't pull too hard...so prob. not worth catching them up for it yet. Certainly no husbandry issue to leave them until shearing. It would be interesting to hear what your vet said about the abscess (PM if you like).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS