Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do tomato roots poison the soil?  (Read 2693 times)

Izzy

• Joined May 2009
  • Stirlingshire
Do tomato roots poison the soil?
« on: April 23, 2016, 07:16:45 pm »
Earlier today I was discussing toms with a friend who has several successful years' experience of growing her own in a 30' polytunnel. She uses those green plastic rings into which the tomato plants are planted. The water and feed goes into the surrounding ring which presumably channels everything efficiently right to the roots. (Is this the 'ring culture' that I've heard about?) She also mentioned that With this system it was easy to dispose of the poisoned soil around the feeding roots at the end of the season. Do toms poison the soil?

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Re: Do tomato roots poison the soil?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 10:51:19 pm »
I rotate veg in the polytunnel and have had a number of different fruit and veg after the tomatoes. No evidence of poisoning at all. :)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 11:25:44 pm »
I grow tomatoes in my greenhouse soil every year with no problem. I only change the soil occasionally although I will add well rotted manure now and again.

Izzy

• Joined May 2009
  • Stirlingshire
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 08:39:17 am »
Hmm. I think what my friend means is that she disposes of the really sour, spent soil in which her toms have been rooted. I don't think she really means poisoned. Thank you for those responses. I think I will just grow my toms in greenhouse soil as I originally intended. This is my first year with a greenhouse and I can't wait!

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 09:34:37 am »
What Possum said. You either need to rotate your crops if you have the space or change the soil on an annual basis :garden:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS