Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello. Newbie here.  (Read 1533 times)

Davism31

• Joined Apr 2016
Hello. Newbie here.
« on: April 22, 2016, 10:09:39 am »
Good morning.  I have acquired lovingly two Jacob sheep lambs.  Their names are Fern and Gully.  Both were abandoned by their mothers. 
 I am new to being a shepherd.  I am loving every aspect.  My husband and I have built a barn for them from the bottom up and started with half an acre pasture. 

I am concerned though.  They are 8-9 weeks.  I am trying to wean them.  They receive milk replacer morning and night and water in a bottle during the day with good hay, lamb kibble, and exposure to clean water.  I am not sure if they are drinking from the bucket of water.  Not sure what to do to get them to transition completely to water in a bucket.  Your advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your consideration.  Have a most splendid day!

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Re: Hello. Newbie here.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 05:16:25 pm »
Hello and welcome from Somerset. You will probably get some useful answers to your question if you post it in the sheep section. :)

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 10:49:04 pm »
Hello and welcome from wales! its brilliant isn't it starting as a shepherd? I love every minute of it myself. When the lambs are young to keep them hydrated I give them a little honey and water in their bottle between the first and last feed, that keeps them hydrated an they love it into the bargain. To get them drinking from a bucket it might be worth sticking your fingers into the bucket and swishing them around, possibly putting the water onto their mouth area a few times, do this a lot and they should get interested. Hope this helps and all the best with everything! :thumbsup:
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 12:30:40 pm »
Hello from Devon. We have Jacobs, they are such characters!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS