Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly rhododendron  (Read 3439 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Poorly rhododendron
« on: April 21, 2016, 03:42:06 pm »
I have a medium sized rhoddy in front of my lounge window, lovely lilac flowers in June, then it's green the rest of the year.  A few years ago a number of the buds were brown, I was told it was 'bud burst' or 'big bud', I think.  I studiously picked off all the brown buds every year and disposed of them - not in compost!

However, this year many of the leaves are drooping so I have a feeling it's dying. 

Am I best to remove it as soon as any flowers that come out have gone or should i do it now?  What should I replace it with, I imagine another rhododendron would be a mistake?  I'd prefer a longer flowering season than just a month if possible
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Vinnie

• Joined Mar 2016
Re: Poorly rhododendron
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 03:56:59 pm »
We don't have a rhododendron but we do have a huge hibiscus now tree in our house. When it gets brown buds or its leaves start drooping basically it just looks depress. We transplant it into a bigger pot and fresh dirt. After about a week it perks up and starts flowering again. I don't know maybe it needs transplanting just an idea hope it helps :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 04:19:30 pm »
It's in the ground, not a pot - far too big to transplant I'm afraid, but thanks for the  suggestion.  :'(
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Vinnie

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 07:14:28 am »
Oh sorry I thought it was in a pot. Well somewhere I read once that they need iron , so I guess there is an iron fertizller you can get and they like acidic soil so you could add some sulphur and see if either or both of those perk it up. Or you could try a lilac bush but their flowers don't last very long either. Hopefully others can give you more advice sorry not more helpful :-\

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 07:43:54 am »
ericaceous plant... so depends what soil type you have as to whether you need to adjust pH and feed supplement.
My citrus and blueberries get supplements - a top dressing of ferrous sulphate, some sulphur chips or chelated iron .. depending on what i have to hand or how instincts hit me.. and I alternate feeding with Miracid on the potted citrus with either tomorite or miracle grow the other times (depends what else i;m feeding that day). I should use the miracid more n the blueberries in the ground .. but it's further to go carrying cans so they tend not to get much feed.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 10:58:05 am »
It's been here for years - 15 at least I was told - I moved here in 2008.  I'm pretty sure it's the big/bud disease, but I've fed it anyway.

What I'd like to know is what to replace it with if it doesn't survive. It's about 6 feet tall and the same width, so quite a big replacement needed.

Thanks for the advice about nutrients.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 11:07:01 am »
Hydrangea? They get quite big, have a reasonably long flowering season, and are, in my opinion, a good plant to have in the garden.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 06:56:00 pm »
If the pH is right for rhodies and assuming no nasty pests in the soil then if you do lose it you might consider reworking the soil and putting in a camelia..not as long a s eason as hydrangea but very showy. Or get enthusiastic and make it camelia sinensis - the tea plant (you have to ferment the leaves- see google)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS