Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bee stings  (Read 7296 times)

Vinnie

• Joined Mar 2016
Bee stings
« on: April 21, 2016, 01:08:59 am »
Hi I have been stung many times before, but the other day a bee stung me in the forehead. Just wondering if anyone has any other cures that may work. Because for reason this sting swelled my forehead and my left eye and is proceeding over to my right eye. Not enough to seal the eye up just enough to make it look like I got punched. This happened 2 days ago and it's went down alittle but not much. I have tried the usual ice, Benadryl, essential oils, even a slice of potato. So any ideas would be helpful.  :fc:

BKeeper

• Joined Jan 2016
  • Isle of Man
Re: Bee stings
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 08:46:40 am »
Was this your first bee sting this year?  I am not a medic but I have heard it said that the first few stings of the year can cause a reaction.  However your sting seems to have had a nasty effect.  Perhaps time for some medical advice?  This is in case you are developing a sensitive reaction.  This can sometime happen to bee keepers if they have not been stung for a long period of time.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 10:47:15 am »
Vinnie, I know from experience that being stung on the face or neck is just about the worst place you can get a sting. The reaction there always seems far greater than elsewhere. Did you take antihistamine straight away?

The Dr recently told me that if the reaction is around the sting area then its part of a localised problem and although it may be uncomfortable and unsightly it will get better over a few days.

If, apart from the usual problems around the sting, you get a reaction elsewhere i.e. in your hands and feet in my case, then its a systemic reaction and it could be the start of a bigger problem for you. I have now been given 2 epi pens.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Vinnie

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 02:34:16 pm »
No it is my second this sting this year the other was in the shoulder, that one barely even became a mosquito bite. I took the antihistamine a few hours later because at first the sting was just tender then about 6 hours later or so is when it started to swell. Probably why it puffed up but I didn't bother to take any because usually I don't swell up. That's good to know about that if it swell elsewhere besides the sting then it is a systemic problem and reason for concern. I guess it will just have to work itself out. We get new bee packages tomorrow so hopefully these are happy bees. ;D

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 06:43:56 pm »
Stings in the face/head are always going to have more swelling than other areas - as Bionic says the symptoms to be wary of in respect of increased systemic reaction is anywhere else away from the immediate locality.
You can also try heat on the actual sting area - the venom is mostly protein so will be denatured with heat - anything above 50 degrees C would help. Don't go much hotter otherwise you will obviously burn the area as well!

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 10:21:10 pm »
Interesting to hear you say that Sudanpan as I was told to put ice on my bee stings, to stop the spreading.  I am terribly reactive to bee stings - not sure why I keep bees really!  ;D

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 11:35:32 pm »
I would go to the hospital pronto, although I am no health professional this sounds serious, get into A&E asap!  They should be able to do something to reduce the swelling and maybe some tests. Are you sure it was a bee which stung you and not a wasp? I hope you get better soon and could you let us know how everything goes?
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

Vinnie

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 04:04:32 am »
Thanks for all the great tips. I didn't know that about the heat either, but that explains why a hot tea bags felt way better then the ice pack. Yes I know it was a bee we were putting up some wind breaks for the hives and apparently one little bee didn't like the banging sound of us putting up some planks. The swelling is just about all gone never thought I would actually be happy to see the wrinkles around my eyes again.  :excited: Thanks again

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 05:31:12 pm »
Good to hear. 

I once went to the doctors surgery with my other half as we had both been stung on the face, and both looked like elephant man. They gave us a double appointment to save time, and she pretty much laughed at us.  Double dose of Piriton was recommended.  I think if you get stung where there is bone close beneath, the swelling appears much worse as it spreads because the skin is tight over th e bone.[size=78%]As a beekeeper I asked for an epi pen just in case, but she was unwilling to supply one.[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]  We were discussing this at my beekeeper association today - can anyone get an epi pen for emergency use?  [/size]

Vinnie

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 07:05:06 pm »
I think anyone should be allowed to get an epi-pen, but I think it really depends on your doctor.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2016, 08:00:10 pm »
No, they won't give an epi pen to just anyone.

Usually you have to have had a full anaphylactic shock or severe systematic symptoms, which is what I had. The Dr was still not keen to give me the pens (you get 2) saying if the systematic symptoms happened I should call an ambulance. The problem is that we are several miles up a single lane track and if I went into anaphylaxia there is a good chance the ambulance wouldn't get to me in time.

You have to be shown how to use the pens properly and they only last for between 6 months and a year. So then you need 2 more

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2016, 09:57:05 pm »
In case it's helpful ...

Epipens (or equivalent - basically intramuscular adrenaline injections) are to treat actual or impending anaphylaxis - they aren't to treat other levels of allergic response. As mentioned they are a standby emergency treatment to keep you going until the ambulance arrives - they aren't a substitute for it.

The adrenaline is there to cause a major cardiovascular response and ultimately increased blood pressure to counteract the dangerously low blood pressure that develops in anaphylactic shock and also to open up your airways to counteract the swelling that can occur so you can keep breathing.

These are the life-threatening features of anaphylaxis but if you aren't experiencing them the effects of the adrenaline injection will still occur, but could be hazardous instead. Even using Epipens for anaphylaxis is not without risk, it's just that the alternative - death from shock - is a bigger risk.

So unless people have had this sort of level of allergic event or are known to be at high risk of having one of this level they won't be given Epipens - they'd be more likely to do harm than good.

Vinnie

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2016, 05:30:14 am »
Interesting didn't know All that about an epi-pen ,on tv( which of course isn't realistic)they always make it seem like the cure all.  And it probably is if in the right situation like for you bionic. Good thing there are always different options to try first and but that is available when it is needed.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2016, 06:20:32 am »
When I went into an  anaphylactic shock I was rather ill to say the least . the Ambulance crew did what they could but it was in the emergency area that the adrenaline was given . 
Whilst it was being injected the team manager said this is a large dose you may shake a little .

Shake a little ........ the whole trolley shook as well , it sounded like a dozen skeletons having a barn dance on a corrugated tin roof. At some stage I passed out and woke up a bit panicky as I found I was on drips & with an oxygen mask on my face & one of the A&E team sitting next to me .
Every follicle on my body had exuded a thin greasy smelly waxy substance up to a 1 mm thick hair ,about 3 to 5 mm long ,  not unlike the covering  some new born babies are covered in .
As I was assessed and moved from the high dependency care bed area to another part of the casualty care ward the team popped in to see how I was before they went off shift.

The head guy said I was the loudest longest shaking Stevens they'd ever experienced .
 I was prescribed a set of Epi pens that night as I was sent home at 22.00 hrs , made a little carry bag to go round my neck to hold tem in . Thankfully I never needed to use them , after the third exchange of the run out of date pens I spoke with the doctor and said I don't think I need them now.

I haven't a clue as to what kicked off my episode as I was at a family reunion party & inside the house , had just got up at 07.30 hrs in the morning .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2016, 10:54:17 am »
Gosh, that sounds nasty.

I hope I never need to use my pens but it does make me feel a little more secure to know that they are around.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS