Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Spontanious combustion  (Read 2992 times)

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Spontanious combustion
« on: April 20, 2016, 10:34:06 pm »
Just some thing that maybe worth bearing in mind.
Whilst showering I saw a bright glow through the window, thinks to myself " Ah ! St Fergus gas plant blown up " then that inkling that as glow seems rather close to home best to investigate.....urgently.

The duff bales of haylage I stacked up on Monday had burst in to flames setting light to a stack of pallets.
I know one or two were warm when I stripped off the plastic but not for a moment thought about combustion
Something worth bearing in mind .

At least I didn't have to undress to shower again after the fire fighting  :o

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
Re: Spontanious combustion
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 10:40:37 pm »

Rupert the bare  :roflanim:
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 10:49:06 pm »
Rupert the Bare
In the buff
After the duff
Haylage went up

No need to shower
Smells like a flower
Back to bed
To tell TAS
Why the sky was red
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 06:23:50 am by suziequeue »
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 12:01:37 am »

Rupert the bare  :roflanim:

:o :o :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 06:42:48 am »
Naughty, elf and safety would have you wear protective clothing at least steel toed boots and gloves.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 12:46:27 pm »
Thanks for the tip. Now I know how to prevent my clothes smelling after tending a bonfire.

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 01:08:33 pm »
We saw what we thought was a fire last night nearer the coast from us - could your conflagration have been what we saw? We are over towards strichen but we can see the coastline from rosehearty to the edge of Fraserburgh.

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 01:41:39 pm »
sorry to hear that [member=136323]Rupert the bear[/member]  I hope that nothing was damaged. How much hay was destroyed?
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 07:35:31 pm »
sorry to hear that [member=136323]Rupert the bear[/member]  I hope that nothing was damaged. How much hay was destroyed?
Luckily it was the moldy stuff the mice had had a go at , " Naughty, elf and safety would have you wear protective clothing at least steel toed boots and gloves."  in the time it would have taken to get dressed fire would have spread, small fires tend to become big ones.
 "Has Rupert the bare got an all over tan now???" no just singed fur  :innocent:
Funny now, but at the time not being a fast mover it was a a bit of a worry with the wind direction blowing sparks towards the house and steading.
Luckily  I had enough hose pipes to reach it , well now empty though  and its still smouldering but on on the way out.
Lessons have been learnt. any duff forage  will be unrolled in future to stop heat build up .

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 10:44:09 pm »

Luckily  I had enough hose pipes to reach it , well now empty though  and its still smouldering but on on the way out.

Reminds me of when a local farm had their hay on fire in the barn. The local voluntary brigade as well the the retained one turned out and were busy putting out the fire. The farmer kept plying them (all men) with cans of beer so at interval they were fighting the fire with their own personal hoses.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 11:30:25 pm »
i didn't realise we were almost neighbours

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2016, 07:32:29 am »
Thanks for the warning! I seem to remember a discussion on here where some people insisted spontaneous combustion couldn't happen, but looks as though you've proved that one.

Glad to hear no serious damage was done.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS