Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello all moving to Cupar  (Read 1909 times)

Tattymacintosh

• Joined Apr 2016
Hello all moving to Cupar
« on: April 20, 2016, 10:16:40 am »
Hello everyone
This is my first post so please be kind ????.
We have recently bought a house and approx 5 acres at Elmwood College Farm.

I originally bought this with a view to just keeping my horses but would quite like to keep a few hens and possibly a couple of sheep.

I have no idea where to start with regards to permissions for livestock on the land etc and wondered if you all could point me in the right direction ????
Many thanks

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
Re: Hello all moving to Cupar
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 11:48:12 am »
Hello and welcome from sunny Angus  :wave:

There are some introductory guides on TAS that you will probably find useful, start here:

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/livestock/

Hope this helps.  :)

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 11:50:52 am »
for sheep you're going to need a county parish holding number - CPH number. This is the number you'll use to record sheep movements on/off the land.

you get the CPH number from the rural payments agency these days I think, which is just a centralised bit of DEFRA.... if you google the subject you'll find the phone number for the main RPA line.... you'll be on hold for a while.

You'll also want to get some movement license forms (they used to be carbon copy, I assume they still are).... your local animal health office will probably send you some for free.... or pick some up from your local market.

HTH

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 12:11:03 pm »
If you give the department at perth a ring  details as below:

PERTH
 AFRC - RPID
Strathearn House
Broxden Business Park
Lamberkine Drive
 Perth
 PH1 1RX
 Tel: 01738 602000
 Fax: 01738 602001
 SGRPID.perth@gov.scot

You will need a CPH number as above however you are in Scotland so DEFRA is not relevant( south of the Border only )  its the Perth Area office for this, as above, then once you get your CPH number ask for the Animal Health department number and they issue you with the flock number for the sheep if you are getting some - we are down near Kinross about half an hour away with mainly Hebridean sheep and plenty of different breeds of chickens good luck with the move

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 02:56:22 pm »
Hello and welcome  :wave: As Dan says, there's info on the website. We're in Carnoustie - we keep Coloured Ryelands and you are welcome to come and see them. I have a couple that would make nice pets if you just want grass cutters not breeders.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 11:59:59 pm »
 :wave: and welcome from  :sunshine: Shropshire.

Tattymacintosh

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 02:58:54 pm »
Thanks everyone I appreciate your help. Looking forward to getting moved in and to crack on.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS