Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Trimming boars' tusks - barbaric?  (Read 6584 times)

HappyHippy

Trimming boars' tusks - barbaric?
« on: April 19, 2016, 04:55:52 pm »
I'd had a message from a friend who got three castrated kunekune boars from us a few years ago to keep as pets/possibly pork. They all ended up as pets  ;)
Anyway, one has a sore foot so the vet has been called to come and sedate him so that a full examination can be carried out. I mentioned that it was worth trimming his tusks (since he'll be sedated anyway) as they're fairly long and could present an injury risk. The vet has come back to her and said, wait for it.....
They don't agree with trimming tusks because their receptionist is on a forum with vets and others where they consider the practice barbaric  :o
Now, detusking I can understand (awful practice and not one I'd ever recommend) but a wee trim is not going to do any harm - could potentially do more harm if not trimmed.
I'm sure the vet has misunderstood what is needed, but at the same time how much confidence should you have in a vet who takes advice that their receptionist has gleaned from the internet?
Discuss  ;)

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: Trimming boars' tusks - barbaric?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 05:38:42 pm »
Nothing wrong with trimming tusks. We never do it but I would if injuries to sows etc became a problem. And certainly if our boar had any aggression in him at all. Change your vet they're obviously nuts.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 05:51:49 pm »
I find it amazing that a receptionist can dictate whether a vet can do a simple trimming/possibly animal welfare issue! If client and vet can't work it out between them then it's time to find a vet with his own mind!!!

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 06:03:32 pm »
The 1st inch is live, after that it is dead tooth.

The practice used to be to trim down to the gumline, which just leads to pain and infection, and certainly shouldn't be done.

Link to a site quoting some research

http://nationalhogfarmer.com/behavior-welfare/trim-boar-tusks-with-care

We trim where it is needed, and used to regularly trim one of our boars who tusks headed back towards his cheeks.  We did it whilst he was sleeping and only took the very end off.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 08:59:11 am »
We did it whilst he was sleeping and only took the very end off.

Ha ha, sounds like a stress-free experience..... :p

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 10:41:13 am »
Eh? I don't know the drill but listening to the receptionist?

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 02:03:59 pm »
I would be looking for a new vets !!.

We de-tusk all our boars, not worth taking chances as we have grandchildren around and wont tempt fate. Had a friend that had a nasty do with a boar and his tusk hospital treatment etc etc.

We don't sedate as the whole thing can be done stress free quicker than the sedative takes to work. Pig holder and de-horning wire.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 02:49:31 pm »
 A boar doesn't have to be acting aggressively to do damage with long tusks.

These are clearly not farm vets with an attitude like that so I would be questioning their ability with farm animals in general and looking elsewhere.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 02:59:34 pm »
 ::) Oh dear.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 03:32:00 pm »
Boars over one year have to have their tusks trimmed in order to be shown, for reasons of public safety.  Even if the boar isn't being aggressive tusks can catch on things like waterproofs and with the weight of a boar behind the hook serious damage can occur.  I know of one very well known figure in the pig world who was seriously injured by a boar.  Do we trim our boars' tusks?   You betcha!  I, too, would be seriously questioning the judgement of a vet relying on a serious animal welfare and human safety issue decided by a receptionist surfing the 'Net.

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 04:05:37 pm »
Phew, so glad you all agree  :relief:
I thought I was turning into a cranky old lady  ;)

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 09:21:24 am »
I'm glad this came up, we just got our first boar (for keeps) and so i will bear this in mind and talk to the OH (a vet)

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 01:43:34 pm »
Lots of how to videos on youtube! As long as you don't cut too short it doesn't bother them at all... They go straight back to rooting around and eating. I was researching as I got my first boar recently, and I will Def do his tusks when the time comes! He is a pedigree pietrain and only 3 months right now so it will be a while yet :)

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 01:48:01 pm »
how do you cut the tusks on a boar? Because they are quite thickish arent they? (not thinking wild here). do you literally chomp off the ends?
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 03:10:47 pm »
I get the vet in to do our boars when they're a year old.  Sedative and horse dentistry rasp.  Only takes a few minutes once they're down.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS