Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: WANTED to rent/buy Southdown Ram  (Read 2758 times)

Keelan H

• Joined Mar 2016
WANTED to rent/buy Southdown Ram
« on: April 19, 2016, 03:39:02 pm »
Hi all,
I'm planning ahead and look towards this tupping season and am looking to either purchase or loan a Southdown Ram. The problem is i only have a few ewes to tup this year (4), so would anyone have a ram for me to borrow in the Wiltshire are this autumn?
Many thanks,
Keelan H

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
Re: WANTED to rent/buy Southdown Ram
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 04:08:06 pm »
the Devon show is about a month away I think (exeter), and might be your quickest best shot.... chat up a breeder who's your side of somerset / east devon perhaps?

GlebeFieldFarm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 03:57:07 pm »
I have Southdown's Rams available for sale or hire in gloucestershire

Keelan H

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 05:04:35 pm »
Thanks Farmershort, will give it a look  :thumbsup:
Glebe farm, would it be okay just for the 3/4 ewes? I understand if not!
many thanks!

Mrs T

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 09:53:02 am »
Probably too far! But if you find yourself Essex / Suffolk way I have surplus home bred Southdown rams (shearling and 3 yr old) for sale.  also saw your other post, I have unrelated shearling ewes / ewe lambs / ewes too, could spare a few if you come for rams.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 11:02:19 am »
I have three pedigree, registered Southdown shearling rams that will be available to buy or for hire.  We run a closed flock, apart from buying in new rams every two years and quarantining them for at least six weeks before they join the flock.  The flock is clear of Johnes, Jaagsiekte, orf, scab, enzootic abortion, footrot and scald.  We follow SCOPS guidelines on worming and sheep are Heptavac'd and treated with Clik pour on one month after shearing.  We breed a traditional Southdown (no imported French or New Zealand bloodlines).  Any sheep that hasn't been 100% healthy all its life and, in the case of ewes, held to first service, lambed without problems, mothered up straight away and milked well, has been culled.  You're welcome to take a look at the flock, without any obligation to buy (Herefordshire).

Keelan H

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 05:21:57 pm »
Thanks a lot Mrs T, it is a tad far but will always bear you in mind if i'm ever up that way!
Marches Farmer, thanks for the detailed reply, i may take you up on that offer. I'd definitely be interested in hiring a ram from you this autumn, it would really improve my future stock! Have yo any photos of the rams?
Many thanks,
Keelan

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 06:33:50 pm »
I'll try and take a photo when it's stopped snowing (sigh).  At present, with a year's fleece, they mostly look like a ball of wool and a nose!

Keelan H

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 09:19:43 am »
Haha that would be great thanks!  :D

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 02:18:48 pm »
Here's a couple of them.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS