Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: goats with bracken and yew?  (Read 2788 times)

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
goats with bracken and yew?
« on: April 18, 2016, 05:07:09 pm »
ahead of moving into the new smallholding, I've been reading up on goat stuff. We've had a pet goat in amongst the sheep previously, but never had them in any number.

One of the defra documents states that goats must be kept away from bracken and yew (amongst other things) as they're toxic to them. Yew is toxic to most things, so it's not surprising.... what is surprising is the implication that goats don't know it's toxic... usually animals pretty much know all of the natural native things which they can/cannot eat.

Does anyone have any experience of this? I'm concerned because at least 2 of our fields-to-be have bracken growth at the edge, and the house has a small yew hedge.

Thanks

Adam

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: goats with bracken and yew?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 05:43:39 pm »
I have had goats , sheep and bracken and  had no problems, though they were never  short of grass whilst the bracken was green. Yew though I would get rid of at once!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 06:08:34 pm »

One of the defra documents states that goats must be kept away from bracken and yew (amongst other things) as they're toxic to them. Yew is toxic to most things, so it's not surprising.... what is surprising is the implication that goats don't know it's toxic... usually animals pretty much know all of the natural native things which they can/cannot eat.

Well I guess we know they are toxic because someones animal did eat it and was ill or died!

I know I can eat some mushrooms and not others but I have no idea how I tell!

If they can get to it and you know it's toxic don't take the risk.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 08:36:55 pm »
Goats particularly are explorers and browsers. They will have a little taste of many things and if it is tasty they will eat more and if not stop. Yew is very toxic. Apparently the most common way of diagnosing yew poisoning is finding a dead animal with yew in its mouth! Not much chance for a learning curve! I certainly wouldn't take the risk with yew.

The problem is that most lists of toxic plants are just yes or no with no guide to degree (or species). For instance, many lists include ivy but my goats and most people I know's goats love it and eat it with no ill effect. Laurel, peiris and rhododendron are very toxic. I almost lost a goat to just a few tiny leaves of piris japonica and would never the the risk with it on my property.

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 09:05:05 pm »
I would say to keep them both away from bracken as they have a tendancy owards eating it. I had a neighbour who kept goats they ate braken and he lost one to a growth, so maybe cancer could be a risk too? I know humans can get it from drinking bracken coffee, could that also be a risk for animals too by eating it?
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS