Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sloe gin  (Read 2825 times)

Izzy

• Joined May 2009
  • Stirlingshire
Sloe gin
« on: April 14, 2016, 06:37:27 pm »
Last autumn a friend of mine made sloe gin in a glass demijohn. She now wants to transfer a bit of it into a smaller container to take fishing ( ;) ).  She asked me if she could borrow the wee stoppered glass bottles that she remembered I have used in the past. I'm happy to loan them to her but am I right in thinking that it isn't really important for her to use sterilised glass. After all the alcohol % should prevent mouldy growths. So a well washed and rinsed Coke bottle would probably be better for a fishing picnic.

CPWSolf

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Somerset
  • Wannabe Smallholder
Re: Sloe gin
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 07:18:28 pm »
The would be perfectly acceptable, it during the 'brewing' process that sterilization is important. And for sloe gin it is questionable how much difference it would make given the gin's ABV.
Chris

"You have seen but not observed whereas I both see and observe."

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCadYy6qr4IjVVsVT7zrCZag

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 08:58:59 pm »
A well-washed plastic bottle would be much better for a fishing trip. We always decant our sloe gin into unsterilised bottles and it has never gone off. Mind you, it does get drunk fairly quickly. ;)

Izzy

• Joined May 2009
  • Stirlingshire
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 05:08:55 pm »
Thanks folks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS