Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The knackers man  (Read 5427 times)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: The knackers man
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 06:55:39 pm »
We also deliver ours  ... and save quite a bit of the bill. ... but not for the faint hearted!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 08:35:45 pm »
Sorry you lost your goat. I well remember the only time I've had to use their services. It was late on Friday when she died so three days before they collected during which time my lovely girl (my very first goat) lay in the shed with the other goats.

Having said that, the man when he came was lovely. I showed him the body and asked if I could leave him to it as she was a much loved pet and he was fine with that. Just came to the house when he'd finished to do the paperwork. I'd use the company again.

Coastie

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2016, 09:50:24 pm »
Sorry for your loss Mojo.
We are near to the fallen stock yard so OH takes our losses there (I always seem to have ironing/hoovering/washing to do :innocent:  ;)).  Although the place is grim, he said the staff are very helpful and it is a fascinating place where everything is re-used. It is much cheaper than if collected. 
Our neighbour was charged £40 by the vet to dispose of a dead lamb!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2016, 02:27:51 pm »
Once I'm sure there's no hope for an animal I prefer to get them to despatch it in preference to the vet.  No messing around with shaving sheep at the injection site or injecting a sedative into pigs.  One shot and that's it.  Less stressful for the animal and for me.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2016, 08:23:37 am »
Very sorry to hear this mojocafe  :'(.   

winkhound

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2016, 01:13:07 pm »
we find the local hunt by far the most responsible, quickest and cheapest option. a small lamb dropped off is £2 and sheep £10.

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2016, 01:47:54 pm »
I am very sorry to hear this [member=26410]mojocafa[/member]. My usual knackerman belongs to a family business, they are a bit too expensive compared to other areas, but they do a good job and are very good about it all. It is a horrible thing having an animal put down or one which dies suddenly. I had a couple of cows once which where too old to go to the abbatoir, so the knacker man came out for them, it was the most horrible thing ever, I was so attached to them but they had to go because they where so old and not useful anymore. :'( I don't particuarlarly like the smell of the knackers lorry, but I am always curious to see what animals they have dead in the back of it, a bit morbid eh?  :roflanim: I think the last time I checked there was a dead fresian 5 dead sheep and lambs and 1 or 2 dead beef cows, no pigs as far as i can recall :thinking:
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2016, 02:07:58 pm »
We had the knackers man out when a pig died but farming neighbours of mine won't have them as they say it brings disease to their farm. They always take theirs themseves
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2016, 12:46:13 pm »
We do the same, Bionic, it's only a couple of miles away. By the way, we don't have a knacker man......we have a knacker lady and very good and efficient she is. She also runs a pet crem.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS