Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: advice on first farrows  (Read 2856 times)

timberdog

• Joined Dec 2015
advice on first farrows
« on: April 12, 2016, 06:32:12 pm »
Hi need some advice on my gos heard they will be farrowing in june and their first litters and mine too !

Are they ok to farrow outside or better to bring them inside?...reason i ask i would prefer piglets to have freedome of outside free ranging etc.

Also can gilts farrow togeather wit no issues or just not best practise?

Also any tips to watch for when they start farrowing?..

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: advice on first farrows
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 06:36:09 pm »
Plenty of tips in past Forum posts.  Let's put it this way - would you be happy for your baby to be born out in a field in the middle of a rainy night? 

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 07:07:37 pm »
Ditto MF  ;)
If there is a need to intervene (and being first time gilts there might be) it's fairly impractical to try getting into a dark arc with a stressed mammy and I don't know many vets who'd be prepared to do it. In a shed you can easily check on them and get in (and out) quickly and easily  ;)
Once the danger period of the first 2-3 days is past there's no reason they can't go out into an arc, but I'd always farrow indoors where possible.
If you are breeding pedigree you'll need the litters separate until you can ID them, there's also no guarantee that both will farrow together and if they're all in the one arc you're going to lose piglets to squashing  :( Most first time gilts are fine but you do get some that freak and try to kill the piglets as they associate them with pain - you wouldn't want to try sorting that out in an arc.
It's going to be a steep learning curve - but you've plenty time to get organised. The GOS breeders club has some good articles about breeding - if you've not read them, I'd start there.
HTH and good luck!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 08:29:28 pm »
The vast majority of farrowing are straightforward. You are very unlucky if you have a problem. A vet once told me only 2% of all farrowings that take place present a problem.

My friend successfully farrows outdoors and loses very few piglets. They need farrowing arks but be warned they don't always think they are the best place and might make a nest anywhere. If your litter isn't contained then piglets may wander off and perish.

I farrow mine indoors and it is so much easier. After a few days they are allowed out and they will benefit from being able to root about as sow milk is deficient in iron.

There is a small chance first timers might be a problem but most traditional breeds are fairly laid back so I wouldn't worry too much. I think most problems are caused by too enthusiastic owners getting in the way and making pigs nervous.

My farrowing pens have low walls so I can observe without going in the pen. If you do need to go in always take a board. Long handled walking sticks are useful for hooking pigs out of danger. When in the pen leave the door off the latch in case you need to make a quick escape.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 09:45:46 pm »
All ours farrow in normal arks outside. Give them some straw to make a nest and they'll know what to do. While you might get away with it I wouldn't have two girls farrow in the same place as it's quite likely a bit of jealousy will kick in and one might kill the other's piglets or they might fight.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 09:47:09 pm »
And don't get in the way it's surprising how fast even a sow mid farrowing can move when she wants to bite a chunk out of you.

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 07:18:32 am »
Mine farrow outside no problem.  I section a corner of her house off with a sheep hurdle and put a heat lamp in there.  The piglets love it and don't leave the heat unless they are feeding.
By about a week old, they are running around outside and rooting!

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 08:00:21 am »
Some sows get very protective for a few days and won't want you to near so best to make sure you have it all organised to get in and out swiftly and safely if needed.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 10:02:01 am »
all ours farrow in arks (no buildings here)
lost a few to crushing when farrowing bars hadn't been installed in time, but otherwise they do well.

We've had sisters farrow in the same pen, they shared an ark, when one was imminent the other moved off to the other ark and they farrowed one night after the other :)
A few days later they all moved in together

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 10:42:48 am »
We've had two farrow at more or less the same time with two arks separated by a single line of electric fence. The sows are kept separate but the piglets all mingle together. It's great to see a big group of piglets all running about together. They always find their way back to the right mother at bedtime though. One problem you might have with so many piglets all born at once is that you could have a lot of them all ready for slaughter at the same time.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS