Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sudden ewe death - lamb help?!?  (Read 5207 times)

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
Sudden ewe death - lamb help?!?
« on: April 12, 2016, 06:32:55 am »
Went outside this morning to find one of my ewes dead!  I don't know what happened, she was fine yesterday and I can't see any signs of being attacked.   >:(
But what I'm worrying about mostly is she has two lambs, 5 weeks old.  What shall I do with them?
I could change their diet - bring them into a stable, give them milk replacer, cake and hay, or I could leave them out in the field (where they have been from day 1) with the other sheep with poor grass and ad-lib fodder-beet?
I don't want to completely change how they have been living, but wasn't sure if they are old enough to be weaned yet and whether they would get enough to eat in the field?
Thanks

Maxxum120

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Scottish Borders
Re: Sudden ewe death - lamb help?!?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 10:28:27 am »
Have they had access to creep? We rear 200 - 250 orphan lambs and wean them at 5 weeks onto ad lib creep and straw, but they have access to creep from day one so they are used to it.

If they are left in the field they will most likely start going downhill or will steal milk from other ewes and be a nuisance.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 10:36:12 am »
Personally, I wouldn't leave them out.  They've no protection from predators.   I would give them a little night shelter, I would also try them with a little milk, they turning ruminant but I don't think the grass and fodder beet alone will help them, good luck xx

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 11:05:56 am »
Thanks, I have them in a stable now with hay and creep, but they have never seen either of those before so not sure how long it will be before they realise what it is.
I have tried bottle feeding them with milk replacer, which they are refusing to have!
They both look full and happy at the  moment so hopefully they will be fine. :fc:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 11:25:23 am »
Same happened here last year, and the lambs were wild, so they were left with the flock. Tried the bottle on them with no success, and tbh at that age it is almost impossible to get them to take it anyway.

If there is grass out there and they have nibbled on beet then I think they will survive, but probably be on the small side. I would still feed my ewes anyway, so my lambs knew about feeding from the trough and did tuck in.

Not sure about removing them from the flock, at 5 weeks they are big enough to not be taken by a fox, and they will just learn very quickly to be in the middle of the group at night time.

Both of mine are still there, although one of them in particular is quite small. Mine are Shetlands, and these two will not be used for breeding, but go into our freezer in the autumn.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 11:27:57 am »
i wouldn't be able to sleep knowing there are orphans on the field. 

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 11:40:49 am »
These lambs are wild too!  Thinking about it now, it may have been better to leave them in the field with the rest of the flock as they all sleep together so should be safe.  I have seen them nibbling the beet too.

I think I will keep them in for a few days and see how they get on with hay and creep - then I will decide what to do.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 11:43:23 am »
 :thumbsup:

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 12:47:49 pm »
Your in a no win situation , you say you have no grass so what will they eat out side at 5wks old not a ruminant yet , they'll get nothing from the beet or the grass .   If you had lots of grass I would have said leave them out to take their chances , but you don't ,as said they would try to suckle any ewe  and get butted .    Inside still a problem , they will start to eat hay and nuts but will loose condition before eating enough , you don't mention water ,try removing the water and give them  a small bucket / bowl / pan  with milk in it and they will eventually drink .    You can bottle feed a 5wk old lamb but it will take lots of time and effort  .     

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 01:09:13 pm »
I've just been home to find they had completely finished the bucket of creep I gave them (about 500g) so they must be hungry!  I have given them the same amount again, and they started eating again.  :thumbsup:

They do have a bucket of water.  I can replace this with a bucket of milk, or would it be better to give them water and milk?

I am currently bottle feeding a few 4 weeks old lambs and it doesn't take much time or effort!? ???  I can imagine it is difficult to start a 5 week old lamb on a bottle which has been with the mother - is that what you mean shep53?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 03:34:23 pm »
It can't hurt to try them with a bottle, and if they'll take it, it'll be a big help to them.  As they're eating creep, they may resist the bottle - then it's up to you how long you persevere with trying.  I must say, I'm very persistent, and although I've had it take a week, and once 10 days, I nearly always do get them onto the bottle.  And yes, including 4 and 5 week olds who've lost their mums.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 05:07:45 pm »
I would just be careful that they don't overdo it on creep if they aren't used t it yet... if you have other lambs inside then they should be fine with them. I wouldn't try overly hard to put them on the bottle at this stage, as long as they eat creep and hay they should be fine. If you feed the creep inside in the evening they will quickly learn to come to the gate and wait to be let in for the night, if you feel better to have them under cover during the night.

Nothing much you can do at this stage anyway, they either survive or not.

I had no other bottle lambs last year, and although we managed to catch our two initially to check their bellies were full - this was after 36h on their own already, as of course ewes always drop dead when I am away - I felt they were better off  with the rest of the flock. Other than size difference they have been absolutely fine.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 05:50:56 pm »
Yes difficult to start on a bottle .   either water or milk to start not both .    Since you have pets of a similar age why not put them together , then the new ones will have company and copy the others

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 08:35:13 pm »
Well I've pretty much given up on getting them to take to the bottle already!! :-\ It sounds like this isn't essential which is a relief.  Also, they are big lambs for their age -they were from day 1 and I had to deliver both of them.  I'm wondering if the difficult birth may have had an effect on the ewe, although this is 5 weeks ago?

They are with my other orphans at night in a stable, and I let the lambs out on the field during the day - but not these two new orphans as I would never catch them again!  Hopefully they will get used to me handling them and feeding them inside, and I can let them out during the day.

Thanks for all the useful info  :thumbsup:

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 10:19:31 pm »
i've got 4 orphans which i keep in the orphanage on a night time / field shelter with the others in the field but secure, and i've trained the gimmers with hay to sleep next to the shelter to protect the orphans (only 2 weeks old) from predators ... seems to be working ... also can't catch 2 of the buggers in the field so they now go out on dog harnesses and extendable leads, again works a treat and less stress all round
Red

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS