Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: kid not quite right  (Read 2064 times)

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
kid not quite right
« on: April 11, 2016, 08:11:27 am »
Hi my 4 week old kid is looking a bit poorly the last couple of days - hunched up and looking miserable.  No scours - sort of feeding and picking up hard food.  He is a triplet and I am topping up whoever wants extra.
I will have to phone vets if he doesnt pick up but loathe to go down the antibiotic route so young as feel it comprises their immunity abit?  Any suggestions for a natural remedy?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: kid not quite right
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 10:13:16 am »
Take his temperature. If high - AB's probably needed.

Could be acidosis if he is overdoing it a bit on milk?

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 10:25:05 am »
Sounds like not getting enough milk and  gotten a chill. I would get him inside and warmed up and bottle feed. My 4 week old kids are currently taking 600ml 3 x day and eating hay and starting to pick at concentrates. If wet under the chin could be a sign of watery mouth vet will give you orajet or maybe something else depending on diagnosis to treat. Does he have any breathing problems cough etc. discharge round nose - If he has developed pneumonia then veterinary treatment is urgent. There could be lot's of different causes of illness, If being warmed up and well fed doesn't improve him and he is ill then veterinary treatment the only way. I would consult your vet,  as young animals can go downhill very quickly. Hope he gets better soon.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 04:03:25 pm by Talana »

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 10:30:22 pm »
How is he Mandy?

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 11:39:16 pm »
We give orojet as part of our routine when doing navels at birth,  because we lamb and pen up.  Brilliant stuff.  Get some down him, bring him in n hope he takes bottle for you x

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 11:42:40 pm »
Theres other oral treatments out there that would surely be organic.  They ll keep on getting it unless they get the spray,  it can carry too so be careful. 

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 09:21:35 pm »
I will have to phone vets if he doesnt pick up but loathe to go down the antibiotic route so young as feel it comprises their immunity abit?  Any suggestions for a natural remedy?

If he is not right and he does sound pretty miserable then get him to the vet. You do not have to accept antibiotics if they cannot give a good reason for them but any vet worth their salt will actually try to come up with a diagnosis and an appropriate treatment. Natural treatments are no use if you have no idea what you are trying to treat!
Get him to the vet if he hasn't improved.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS