Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: heriford pigs  (Read 2435 times)

timberdog

• Joined Dec 2015
heriford pigs
« on: April 10, 2016, 09:17:45 pm »
Anyone know anyone in uk with hereford pigs ?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: heriford pigs
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 09:31:20 pm »
I very much doubt anyone will have them given the cost of bringing them from America.

We have plenty of established pigs breeds, modern and traditional, to choose from.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 09:32:37 pm »
If you like the look of the Hereford then I would suggest you look at Hampshires or Durocs.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 09:35:54 pm »
you could try and ask the BPA about them and see if they know of anyone who breeds them? I would ask pig societies to see if they know of anyone, adverts and stuff like that. Really put feelers out there if yiou really want that breed. http://www.nationalherefordhogassociation.com/ Ask these people if they know of anyone who breeds them in the UK?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 10:33:03 am »
you could try and ask the BPA about them and see if they know of anyone who breeds them? I would ask pig societies to see if they know of anyone, adverts and stuff like that. Really put feelers out there if yiou really want that breed. http://www.nationalherefordhogassociation.com/ Ask these people if they know of anyone who breeds them in the UK?

Ask the BPA, they look after the herd books for all pig breeds apart from the British Lop.

What would be the benefit of bringing the breed here at massive cost and with a very small gene pool and then keeping it to yourself?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 12:11:02 pm »
With my rare breeds conservation hat on (and actually I can't remember when I last took it off) I'd suggest that with many native breeds at desperately low numbers and even some of the more numerically robust ones showing a decrease over the last year, they are in great need of attention.

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 02:04:55 pm »
Anyone know anyone in uk with hereford pigs ?

If you find someone timberdog then please send me a pm/let me know! :)

timberdog

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 06:28:23 pm »
Will do

I like the colours in herefords

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS