Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wild boar / GOS X. Tiny weaners  (Read 5586 times)

HappyHippy

Re: Wild boar / GOS X. Tiny weaners
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2016, 10:25:50 am »
It's not something I've noticed post worming, but maybe it's a reaction to iron  ???
I'd get a hold of one (or more if possible) and check their temperature  - sounds respiratory / pneumonia like, given the wet weather and variable temperatures of late that's my first thought.
Hope they all improve soon  :fc:

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2016, 10:34:41 am »
Did you also separate them? At 5 months they are definitely not weaners any more!  ;)

Agree with HH, could be pneumonia with all this weather we've been having. Could also be rhinitis, respiratory disease, ammonia/dust overload etc. Take their temperature and keep an eye on them.

Could just be muck up their snouts if you had nice weather yesterday and they've been snuffling about and breathed in.

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Shropshire / N Wales Border
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2016, 01:55:04 pm »
Thank you  - yes they are separated. Will check them when we get home  - hope they are ok but honestly don't think we could have done any more so far.
I really hope I dint have to inject them all again though  :fc: :fc:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2016, 04:47:10 pm »
maybe they had a high worm burden??
hope they get better for you.

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2016, 08:37:47 pm »
Thanks. I phoned the vet who confirmed that it was the pigs trying to rid their bodies of the now dead worms ( yuk but hurray)
They seem to have stopped coughing now and ate all their dinner so fingers crossed we are over the worst. Thank you everyone for all the advice.

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2016, 01:31:56 pm »
Piglets are thriving. Suspect the positive change in the weather has helped but even the tinies gave put weight on this week. Thank you for the advice and support. We will not be advised against worming again!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS