Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wild boar / GOS X. Tiny weaners  (Read 5585 times)

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Shropshire / N Wales Border
Wild boar / GOS X. Tiny weaners
« on: April 10, 2016, 03:39:16 pm »
Due to a series of unfortunate events we find ourselves with 7 WB/ GOS X weaners. 3 boys and 4 gilts. They are about 5 months old apparently. One of the boys is a reasonable size one is small and the other is tiny ( really tiny)
We have resigned ourselves to keeping the gilts for as long as it takes to get them up to size - will take until the autumn in our opinion. However I am worried about keeping the boars with them for much longer as all are entire. Also I am worried about boar taint.
So my questions are
- are we more likely to get boar taint with WB than "normal" pigs?
- at what age do I need to split them up
- will the tiny one be liable to taint even if he is tiny ( think jack Russell size)

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
Re: Wild boar / GOS X. Tiny weaners
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 09:42:19 am »

- are we more likely to get boar taint with WB than "normal" pigs?

No - but they do have a much stronger flavour in general IMO. Also keeping them with girls will increase the chances of them smelling

- at what age do I need to split them up

Now!! As soon as the gilts start cycling they can become pregnant and it's not healthy for them to carry litters so young.

- will the tiny one be liable to taint even if he is tiny ( think jack Russell size)

Size doesn't matter in my experience

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 10:41:03 am »
Agree with Sophie Yorkshire and split them now. I haven't kept WB but don't they grow more slowly than our breeds? Have you wormed them?

Boar taint imo is something that is possible but rarely happens.

Have you got a market for your pork? 7 finished pigs even if they are not all ready at the same time is a lot of pork!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 12:07:27 pm »
We;ve taken GOS boars in at 28 weeks and never encountered boar taint. They do need to be split now - the boars will be capable of serving gilts in days rather than weeks. 

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 09:05:57 pm »
Thank you for the replies. We will split immediately
In terms of market we are unlikely to get more than a chipolata off the small ones :(

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 10:54:26 pm »
There was a thread not so long ago about 'what wind up thread would you post?'
How about, champion micro pig for sale!!!! :thinking:

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 06:45:49 am »
I wish this was a wind up tbh. It's a total disaster for all of us. We made a mistake although I am v glad we have them as where we got them from was a disgrace. Honestly think we will need to cull some as they will never grow.
Asked the vet about worming and he said they were too small.
In this weather and the current conditions this is one problem I could do without. Thank you all for your help.

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 07:31:00 am »
Baffled as to why they're too small for worming?  ???

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 08:24:03 am »
My kune kune weaners get wormed when I rehome them at 8 weeks, and the biggest are Jack Russell sized! This litter the two largest were 10.6 and 8.6 kg.
They need less than 1ml of wormer injecting so need a syringe that can measure small amounts, but there is no reason they cannot be wormed.
Either your vet doesn't know much about pigs, or they haven't understood what the issues are.
As a vet, I'd say a 5 month old weaner of that size (especially of a crossbreed that should be a bit larger) either has worms slowing his growth, or other internal issues, at which point he will be weaker and less able to cope with any worms! Therefore it is even more important that he gets wormed.
There are plenty drugs available for worming pigs, in our practice we usually have an injectable ivermectin drug on the shelf from which we can dispense small amounts of wormer to people with a few sheep, pigs or cattle that need treatment.
Speak to your vet again (who may need to see the pigs before dispensing wormer) or consider looking for one that can treat pigs.

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 08:25:30 am »
The vet said his injectable was 1ml per 10kg. The tinies are at best 3kg. He was worried that over worming would be a problem
He is going to get another call from me today. We need to do something

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 08:35:07 am »
if you think you need to cull them, then do so. don't feel guilty. the knackermen are very good and quick. they will come to your farm so then its a kinder death than going through the abattoir.
put it down to experience.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 08:37:12 am by shygirl »

HappyHippy

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 09:52:27 am »
The vet said his injectable was 1ml per 10kg. The tinies are at best 3kg. He was worried that over worming would be a problem
He is going to get another call from me today. We need to do something
The wormer we use (noromectin) is 1ml per 33kg of bodyweight, our kunekune piglets all got 1ml at weaning as advised by our vet (piglet weights between 10-18kg) and there was never an issue. IMHO they all need wormed as a matter of urgency. Even a JR sized piglet should weigh more than 3kg - have you actually weighed him or are you just estimating? We used a big blue IKEA bag hung from a luggage scale for weighing little pigs, or you can weigh yourself on bathroom scales then get back on while holding him and calculate the difference.
After worming, if there's no improvement, you could either cull or use him as a whole pig roast (you need to observe withdrawal times before consuming though - typically 28 days)
HTH

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 12:00:30 pm »
So 0.3ml for a 3kg pig. Not difficult, mine get treated with one that is 1ml per 33kg also, so up to 16kg they get 0.5ml.
And I totally agree you need to weigh them

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 12:30:35 pm »
Thank you for all your advice
We will weigh and inject and hope for the best.

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 08:25:10 am »
so yesterday, with help we injected all the weaners with iron and wormed them all too. A fun hour was had by all, and the mud only added to the fun  ;D
Anyway this morning they are all still with us which is a good sign, but yesterday afternoon the two tinies started coughing / wheezing, and last night when we checked on them, they were all doing the same.
Is this normal?
They all fed well this morning (although they are all sleeping again now) and had the energy to escape this morning  ::), so I guess there are no major problems there, but just wondered what the experience of others would tell
thanks

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS