Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First swallow....update. Swallow got two friends to play with today  (Read 6196 times)

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Re: First swallow
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2016, 08:41:25 pm »
I too keep a note in the diary, always has been around the 23rd April for the first arrival then the rest a week or so later and the geese bugger off at the same time . Only one year they were late, I was grumpy, worried spending the days looking skyward , a fortnight late great relief when they arrived , to me it means summers started and every things alright. Micro cctv cameras at the ready for a couple of nests  :excited:

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2016, 08:52:14 pm »
yes I have seen a few flocks of them recently; it looks like spring is finally here, although the weather will say otherwise. ::)
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2016, 08:18:15 am »
Since December we have had great swings in the weather causing migrating cranes to fly north then head back south. Like the swallows they are migrating north now but the poor swallows have found few insects this last week. Next week we should have 20 degrees so maybe plenty of insects for the swallows.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2016, 08:40:41 am »
Saw the first swallow here in the Marches on the 9th.  Snowing here at present so could be a while before I see them again.  The pairs of Nuthatches, Stock Doves and Goldfinches that have been visiting the bird table recently are now down to one bird at a time, so I guess they're nesting.  We decided the other day that in the years since the cats we brought with us died and haven't been replaced the bird population close to the house has increased around four-fold, with new species of ground feeding birds added every year.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2016, 08:27:19 pm »
1st one today  :excited: - circling the goathouse... (also 1st lamb today - unplanned but not unexpected).

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2016, 08:29:00 pm »
First one yesterday
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2016, 08:32:09 pm »
First one here was a couple of days ago  :thumbsup: let's hope it meens Spring is finally here

Coastie

• Joined Mar 2015
Re: First swallow....update. Swallow got two friends to play with today
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2016, 09:07:10 am »
First couple seen here this week.  I would have expected to see them sooner as we are on the south coast  :thinking:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2016, 09:59:19 am »
Three seen yesterday!! South Devon.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2016, 11:20:18 pm »
I've been going around looking skyward , no sign of the critters here yet  :(

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2016, 11:47:02 pm »
Same here - getting a crick in my neck.  They have always arrived before May in the past.  Southerly winds today so maybe they're on their way  :fc:.  That snow can't have helped  :cold:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2016, 02:28:50 pm »
After a bit of a struggle doing some DIY  I stepped ( crawled ) out into the cold and breezy yard for some fresh air, no need to look up like a "moon howler" there  flying up and down was  a pair of swallows  :sunshine: :sunshine: :sunshine: :sunshine:  I'm so pleased. ( there seems to be some dust blown making  my eyes water )
Happy days are here

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2016, 04:09:19 pm »
I meant to post when I saw our first, Apr 19th, was just coming out of the barn and heard a bird noise, 'pesky robin' I thought, (they make a mess in the food tubs), then stopped in my tracks, turned round and went back in - YES! what a treat. then a pair by the 24th. looks like they are honouring us again this year.  :thumbsup:   
We felt like proud parents when we got 2 broods away last year. (same parents)  ;D
west of West Yorkshire.

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2016, 04:14:23 pm »
Yaaay     :excited:     Just spotted a good half dozen swallows swooping about.  Was starting to get a bit concerned as I hadn't seen any signs of them.  Summer is on its way to Central Scotland    :sunshine: :sunshine:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2016, 04:38:22 pm »
One or two arrived the other day, and half a dozen more today  :thumbsup: .

They brought with them the first hatch of midges of course, but since that's basically the equivalent of a packed lunch, I'll forgive them!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS