Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cockerel and the law Scotland?  (Read 15727 times)

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
Re: Cockerel and the law Scotland?
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2016, 08:46:03 am »
[member=5725]bloomer[/member] your doing the right thing co-operate with the Authorities you have nothing to hide keep yourself right and don't let them provoke you walk away you never know when some ones recording nowadays - not sure if I missed it but have they bought a house or are they renting if the latter then perhaps a complaint to whoever the landlord is re spurious complaints might quiet them / or maybe not? Are they complaining re others neighbours too?
Just keep your self right they will pass!

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2016, 02:19:34 pm »
So the saga continues,

Today after a period of relative peace I get a letter from council saying initial investigations have confirmed noise in next door before 7am (they say 530) and what will I do about it?

Spoke to council asked for more details as they haven't evidenced the allegation.

Also explained to poor council man I'll obey the letter of the law but drag it out as long as possible due to neighbours behaviour...

As today's isn't an enforcement notice I'll just leave them where they are for now. :-D

Still raging someone can move in and force me to change my lifestyle when no one else is bothered by it...

HappyHippy

« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2016, 04:04:04 pm »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:
We had the same thing here David, we had to rehome our guinea fowl  :( In the end he moved away and life became pleasant again, but it was a nightmare at the time - the kids couldn't even play in the garden for fear of being accused of some random act. Hope you get things sorted out soon  :fc:

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2016, 10:13:59 am »
Update.

So returned from holiday to find an enforcement notice... Great

So I now either have to build new pens on an unsuitable bit of land that I don't have time to do...

Or get rid of my cockerels in the next 16 days...

Grumpy doesn't cover my mood today...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2016, 10:17:50 am »
I can 'borrow' them till you get a new pen built.  None of my neighbours complained when I had some before, but next door's (good friends) B & B has increased in business so I don't want permanent boys here
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2016, 10:20:40 am »
Thanks Annie

I have asked the council for their actual evidence before I make any actual descision sits just stress I could do without right now...

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2016, 11:13:15 am »
I am so sorry to hear about this [member=5725]bloomer[/member]  couldnt you explain that you run a poultry business so to get rid of the cockerels would destroy the business? Try and make a  big case explaining that noone has complained before at all and that this guy is s real troublemaker? after all your business has been thrre longer than he has lived there. I mean if someone was like that about my buffalo I would put out a full and  complete case; You could say how you have lived here for many years without complaints of crowing cockerels from neighbours. I think you may need your solicitor for this one. Also explain about the moving of the pens , that the ground wouldnt be good for the livestock you have resulting in losses, etc, etc. I hope you can get this sorted soon! Will you keep us updated on how you get on? I am indeed very sorry you have to go through this :hug:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 11:15:24 am by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2016, 08:58:26 pm »
bloomer, I've not been on for a while and can't believe what I'm reading....WHY do people move into a village if they hate to hear animals?

A while ago a member wrote that they put the cockerels in cat baskets overnight. That way the can't stand up erect to crow! Worth a try if you can catch them...

such a shame you have to go through all this for some, what I assume, commuter neighbours from hell....

It might be worth looking for a lawyer soon as this is your business.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2016, 09:04:24 pm »
Nope worse it's a retired couple who moved to the country for a quiet life...

Still awaiting evidence from the council, have told them despite enforcement notice I'm doing nothing till I see the evidence against me...

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2016, 09:11:10 pm »
no such thing as a quiet life in the country. Did they know about tractors going all night to plough, sow and harvest? I could send some of my neighbours over...

Don't let this go any further, if it was me I'd look for proper legal advice and if they insist on ruining your livelyhood though council and what have it, sue.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2016, 04:32:50 pm »
And to think I left the noises of the country, owls screeching and hooting, squeals of rabbits caught by the fox and, yes, neighbouring farmers working all night sometimes, getting hay in while the weather holds, ploughing, seeding etc. And as for dung spreading!!
We moved to a tiny bungalow on the edge of a bypass, with a new bypass just built. Now I get traffic noise, teenager noise (which I don't mind, I can swear better than them!). HGVs all night and the thrum and rattle of the recycling plant.
Do you suppose if I complained to the council they would serve an order on them? I think I might try!
Or, now that Jim is back to normal I might return to cockerels crowing..........bliss!!
Tell them to bu##er off to where they came from, too many complaining townies dictating how country folk should live!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 04:37:05 pm by devonlady »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS